I’ve always liked Kevin Bacon. What’s not to like? Over a 30+ year career, he’s managed to be prolific without being overexposed. But it wasn’t until I saw the trailer for the Footloose remake last night that I realized just how much I like Kevin Bacon. He’s good in nearly everything he’s in (and this late career turn into villainy has been grand). And when you put Kevin Bacon up against some punk kid named Kenny Wormald with a shitty Boston accent, you begin to realize how phenomenal Kevin Bacon really was in a role that didn’t give him a lot to work with. This Wormald kid, though? Kind of makes you wish they’d gone with their original choice, in Zac Efron. Or a human-sized boil.
There have obviously been a number of bad remakes over the years, but — inspired by the Footloose remake — what we’re looking at today are remakes with the largest disparity in talent between the original actor or actress and the actor or actress cast in the same role in the remake. The biggest step down in class, if you will.
10 The Italian Job: Michael Caine > Mark Wahlberg
9. The Longest Yard: Burt Reynolds > Adam Sandler
8. Arthur: Dudley Moore > Russell Brand
7. Psycho : Anthony Perkins > Vince Vaughn
6. Footloose: Kevin Bacon > Kenny Wormald
5. Just Go With It (Cactus Flower): Walter Matthau , Ingrid Bergman > Adam Sandler, Jennifer Aniston
4. Are We Done Yet? (Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House) : Cary Grant > Ice Cube
3. The Women: Norma Shearer, Rosalind Russell, Joan Crawford > Meg Ryan, Annette Bening, Eva Mendes
2.Mr. Deeds Goes to Town (Mr .Deeds): Gary Cooper > Adam Sandler
1. Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner (Guess Who): Sidney Poitier > Ashton Kutcher