Nancy Pelosi Is Not Playing Around
I didn’t even realize this was a thing, and when Pelosi sent out the letter this morning, I thought it was mostly an optics or a posturing thing, but from what I understand, Pelosi has effectively canceled Donald Trump’s State of the Union Address.
Today, I wrote to @realDonaldTrump recommending that we delay the State of the Union until after government re-opens, as the @SecretService, the lead federal agency for #SOTU security, faces its 26th day without funding. https://t.co/K2oL8WGvqo pic.twitter.com/g3fIlxDbbK— Nancy Pelosi (@SpeakerPelosi) January 16, 2019
The State of the Union Address is apparently given “at the invitation of the Speaker of the House,” and this is Pelosi effectively pulling that invitation (or at least postponing it).
This Pelosi move feels like classic Pelosi. Makes a public, formal request to the president to postpone SOTU. Tees it up politely. But really, she's not asking. She controls if or when SOTU happens. This is gonna drive Trump crazy. https://t.co/kL4vUciATQ— Jennifer Bendery (@jbendery) January 16, 2019
Don’t be confused: Speaker Pelosi ain’t asking, she is telling. Bold move on her part telling President no dice on State of Union address in person at Capitol.— Matthew Dowd (@matthewjdowd) January 16, 2019
Yeah there’s a lot of “Pelosi suggests she might not invite Trump” chatter but that’s not what this is. It’s up to the Speaker to invite the head of a co-equal branch to address Congress. White House doesn’t get a day in the matter. https://t.co/u3UkEas5Gb— Dave Weigel (@daveweigel) January 16, 2019
Wow! I’m sure that the White House will come up with some elaborate on the White House lawn sort of scheme to work around the withdrawn invitation, but as things so often do with Trump, my guess is that it will backfire.
Header Image Source: Getty Images
- With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility: Voting for the Pajiba 10 Begins Now
- Spoilers: Digging into the Runes Throughout ‘Midsommar,’ What the Hell They All Mean, and the Easter Eggs Ari Aster Hid Throughout
- By Erasing Oasis for a Cheap Joke, ‘Yesterday’ Also Does One of Its Only Female Characters a Disservice
- Review: Tom Holland Is Perfect In 'Spider-Man: Far From Home' Even as the Story Struggles
- On the Spectacular 'Evvie Drake Starts Over' and the Time NPR's Linda Holmes Twitter Shamed Me