As we did with the Movie Club discussion on Night of the Living Dead, I’m just going to throw out a few questions to get you folks started and let you run with it. If you haven’t seen the movie in a while, and you need a review to refresh your memory, do check out John William’s review from 2008.
1. Just to get the subtitle issue out of the way, has anyone seen both versions of the subtitles, and would care you care to explain the differences?
2. How would you compare Let the Right One In to other contemporary horror movies? Vampire movies? Would you even consider it a horror movie?
3. How do you square the vampire lore of Let the Right One In with traditional vampire mythology?
4. Why do you think Eli was castrated? And how do you think the role of Eli’s gender played in the film?
5. How do you feel about the ambiguous ending? A happy one? A tragic one?
6. Did you find the love story effective?
7. Can you comment on the relationship between Oskar and his father? How does Oskar’s father’s sexuality play into the overall themes of the film, if at all?
8. Did you feel the use of CGI during the cat scene was well done or jarring?
9. Did you like the movie? Would you recommend it to friends?
10. How do you feel about the American remake?