1982: Toni Basil’s “Mickey,” Joan Jett’s “I Love Rock n’ Roll,” and Tommy Tutone’s “867-5309/Jenny” topped the charts that year. It was the year that Michael Jackson’s Thriller was released. Poltergeist scared the bejesus out of America, Blade Runner opened in theaters, as did E.T. The Extra Terrestrial . For some reason, work-out videos featuring Jane Fonda and Olivia Newton-John were all the rage. “Dallas” was the top-rated TV show in America, Sarah Jessica Parker had a TV series called “Square Pegs,” Pac-Man and Ms. Pac-Man were hugely popular, and the kids emulated Flock of Seagulls in their hairstyles. Why? I have no idea.
And if Pajiba were around, we would’ve worn mullets, novelty Warriors overalls and leggings (ironically, of course), and this would’ve been the Pajiba 10 that year.
10. Kim Cattrall (c. Porky’s)
9. Richard Gere (c. An Officer and a Gentleman)
8. Valerie Bertinelli (c. “One Day at a Time”)
7. Scott Baio (c. Zapped, “Joanie Loves Chachi”)
6. Diane Franklin (c. The Last American Virgin)
5. John Ritter (c. “Three’s Company”)
4. Jennifer Jason Leigh (c. Fast Times at Ridgemont High) (This is the NSFW version of why)
3. John Schneider, Tom Wopat and Catherine Bach (c. “Dukes of Hazzard”)
2. Harrison Ford (c. Blade Runner, and two Star Wars films were re-released in 1982)
1. Phoebe Cates (c. Fast Times and Ridgemont High and one year before Private School)