As part of this week’s unofficial look at lazy and offensive racial stereotypes (see also Sassiest Black Female Characters) today we are going to tackle another stereotype: The menacing-looking Hispanic dude. Far more than African-Americans these days, Hispanics are widely caricatured as maids, gardeners, lazy do-nothings, or — in the case of many Hispanic women — big-bootied seductresses who fall in love with white women. Also, all Hispanics (and Latinos) are either from Mexico or Puerto Rica, no exceptions.
The most common Hispanic stereotype, however, is the menacing thug, the scary-looking motherfucker who will kill you and steal your white girlfriend. It’s an unfortunate stereotype, but there are several actors (Hispanic or not) who have played it well.
Here are the best:
5. Barillo (Willem Dafoe), Once Upon a Time in Mexico (Bonus Points: Dafoe is from Wisconsin)
4. Tuco (Raymond Cruz), “Breaking Bad”
3. Tony Montana (Al Pacino), Scarface (Bonus points: Pacino is of Italian descent)
2. Anton Chigurh (Javier Bardem), No Country for Old Men
1. Machete, (Danny Trejo), Machete (And everything else he’s ever been in.)
And, though this is a SRL, while we’re on the subject of Machete, I’d also like to note that the full cast for the the movie — based on the above trailer — has come together. Co-directed by Robert Rodriguez and Ethan Maniquis, Machete will feature Danny Trejo, Jessica Alba, Michelle Rodriguez, Steven Seagal, Lindsay Lohan, Cheech Marin, Don Johnson and Jeff Fahey.
Oh, and Robert fucking DeNiro.
That’s one hell of a cast for a movie once thought to be headed straight-to-DVD.