What Outdated Pop Culture Reference Do You Still Make Frequently?
Friends, every time someone tells me an inane, dumb story and expects a response (when frankly no response is warranted) there is a brief moment where I have to fight the urge to look them dead in the eye and say: “I’m sending my love down the well.”
Now, this is a pop culture reference that hasn’t been current since Bill Clinton ran for president the first time and yet it has stuck with me since it was a throwaway gag in one Simpsons episode in 1992.
Obviously I’m not a monster (I mean, maybe I am, I have an unnatural craving for raw, red meat and I’m afraid of the sunlight…but I have to keep people relatively on my side in case I ever need to ask them for a kidney) so I usually give a more benign response than that, but honestly, even if I ever did say that I was sending my love down the well, how many people would get that reference?
In awkward situations, I love to tell people “if anyone needs to make a call, I have a phone,” which again, is a throwaway line from a movie (Romy and Michele’s High School Reunion) that came out 22 years ago. In the same vein, sometimes I’ll say to a friend if we’re going out to lunch, in my best SoCal accent, “I wonder if they have a business woman special?!”
So, it got me thinking, for every “current” pop culture reference I like to make, there’s like 30 outdated ones I’d rather make but no one would get, and it would take too much effort to explain. Although in my opinion, everyone should understand any Romy and Michele reference because that movie is endlessly quotable.
The older you get, the more media you’ve consumed and out of all of that there’s going to be some of it that for whatever reason, has left an indelible mark on your consciousness but maybe on no one else’s. I can’t be the only one who has to leave their stupid, outdated pop culture comments in my pocket.
So, share yours and maybe together, we can send our love down the well.
Header Image Source: Touchstone Pictures
- With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility: Voting for the Pajiba 10 Begins Now
- Spoilers: Digging into the Runes Throughout ‘Midsommar,’ What the Hell They All Mean, and the Easter Eggs Ari Aster Hid Throughout
- By Erasing Oasis for a Cheap Joke, ‘Yesterday’ Also Does One of Its Only Female Characters a Disservice
- Review: Tom Holland Is Perfect In 'Spider-Man: Far From Home' Even as the Story Struggles
- On the Spectacular 'Evvie Drake Starts Over' and the Time NPR's Linda Holmes Twitter Shamed Me