Steven Moffat on The New 'Doctor Who' Season and Fandom Contributions
Yesterday our Kristy Puchko sat down with Steven Moffat and Michelle Gomez to discuss the new season of Doctor Who and the future of the Master. They both had a lot to say, but some particularly interesting points are:
- Michelle Gomez reflecting that she and Peter Capaldi share similar features and “there’s some sort of sibling thing going on” which might be influencing the way she’s playing her relationship with The Doctor.
- Writers Sarah Dollard and Jamie Mathieson both have never seen the old Doctor Who show, and writer Catherine Treganna didn’t watch the show before Moffat brought her on as a writer. Moffat finds this “disappointing” but also says “So we’re just at the stage of people about Sarah’s age coming through saying, ‘No. This is the show that I want to do, that I’m passionate about. What the fuck is the “Brain of Morbius?”’ So that is going to be very, very interesting. Very interesting.”
- Moffat insists that there was no promise to explore Gallifrey.
- Osgood is definitely coming back, according to Moffat. He describes her as “a love letter to cosplay” and says “I love all that stuff.”
- Moffat also says “But the absolute reality is that fandom is the most amazingly creative community you could see.” So that’s nice of him.
Honestly, the whole interview is great if you’re a fan of the show, so I’d definitely recommend reading it. Kristy did a great job with drawing out interesting comments and solid information from both Gomez and Moffat. Doctor Who will be returning on September 10th.
- What if 'Independence Day' with Will Smith is a Warning?
- With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility: Voting for the Pajiba 10 Begins Now
- The 10 Best Movies Of 2019 So Far
- Meghan McCain Wants to Quit 'The View' (WHY, GOD?!)
- 'Yesterday' Is A Love Letter To East Anglia