Bree Newsome, Our New Hero, is Also a Filmmaker
Yesterday a woman named Bree Newsome scaled the flag pole in front of the South Carolina Statehouse and took down the Confederate flag. She was arrested, but later released on bail as the internet rallied to her assistance. Indiegogo has a crowd funding effort set up for her and it’s already made its goal several times over.
But before she shimmied up a flagpole, Bree Newsome was a filmmaker. Here’s one of her short films called “Wake” about a woman who tries to use root magic to conjure herself the perfect man.
The film has won the Outstanding Independent Short Film award in the 2012 Black Reel Awards as well as the Best Short Film at BET Urban World Film Festival. Here’s hoping that this isn’t the last we hear of her. Although if she has plans to repeat her mission, I suggest she bring some scissors up with her next time.
- What if 'Independence Day' with Will Smith is a Warning?
- With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility: Voting for the Pajiba 10 Begins Now
- The 10 Best Movies Of 2019 So Far
- Meghan McCain Wants to Quit 'The View' (WHY, GOD?!)
- 'Yesterday' Is A Love Letter To East Anglia