The Super Bowl weekend is another one of those annual rites of misery at the box-office, where studios do their damndest to counter-program with horror movies and romance against weak competition. The Roommate was the big beneficiary of the Super Bowl malaise this weekend, putting up a soft $15 million, which is more than it probably would’ve fetched on most other weekends, given its 8 percent Tomatometer average and a dismal B- from CinemaScore. Meanwhile, James Cameron’s name wasn’t enough to save Sanctum from a tepid $9 million opening (even with 3D ticket sales). No Strings Attached, which still has the studio romantic-comedy market all to itself, continued to perform modestly, adding another $8 million, while The Green Hornet, at number 5, is quietly approaching $100 million. Not bad for a film many had written off last year.
As for the Super Bowl weekend in general, here are the 10 Best Performers, or Taken and nine other movies you’ve either never seen or saw for the first time on basic cable.
10. The Wedding Planner ($13.5 million)
9. The Messengers ($14 million)
8. The Roommate ($15.6 million)
7. She’s All That ($16 million)
6. You Got Served ($16.1 million)
5. Boogeyman ($19 million)
4. When a Stranger Calls ($21.6 million)
3. Taken ($24 million)
2. Dear John ($30 million)
1. Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus: Best of Both Worlds Concert Tour ($31 million)
(Source: Box-Office Mojo)