What Was 'The Incident' That Took Place At Your High School?
If you or someone you know has ever attended a public or private high school, there’s a very large chance that when you were a student back in high school, something happened at least once or twice that gave you and your friends a reason to gossip. Sometimes it’s something ‘minor’ that is only discussed by a select few who are in the know, like when a fight breaks out either in the cafeteria during lunch or outside at the playground after school let out. Or when your best friend suddenly decides to hook up with your ex-boyfriend/ex-girlfriend.
And then there’s the kind of something that happens which is known and discussed by everyone, including the teachers and the students. (And sometimes, more often than any of us would like, you don’t have to be a teacher or a student to know when something like this happens and keeps happening to the point where we start losing count)
Maybe your best friend decided to have sex with her boyfriend (who is the cheese to her macaroni), only to end up getting pregnant.
Maybe it’s the mayor of your town transforming into a giant serpent at your graduation ceremony and then eating your principal right in front of you before trying to devour everyone else.
Maybe your best friend accidentally kills himself by shooting himself in the stomach because he found a loaded gun in his mother’s house and decided to twirl it around on his finger as if he was RoboCop.
Maybe the local red-headed hottie who is not named Cheryl Blossom decides to start a vigilante group with his friends and announced this by having his masked and shirtless friends declare their intentions on video for the whole world to see. (Seriously, Archie, in what world did any of this come across like a good idea to you? I mean, really.)
Earlier this week, Buzzfeed News tech/Internet writer Katie Notopoulos asked this question of everyone on Twitter:
What was “the incident” in your high school?— Katie Notopoulos (@katienotopoulos) December 26, 2017
A question which many people were willing to answer, as evidenced by the tweets below:
A father faked his son’s death for the life insurance money and the school had to put bumper stickers over the memorial page in the yearbook after we found out that he was still alive and just transferred to a different school.— andrew lavelle (@andrewlavelle11) December 26, 2017
School (3500 students) website got hacked and redirected to PornHub for 2 days. Kid got caught, expelled— jeff af (@jcrrain) December 26, 2017
a girl who went to my HS got pregnant and her story became the basis for a “ripped from the headlines” episode of SVU https://t.co/lToULewFA3— Carly Lane (@carlylane) December 26, 2017
The SVU episode tweaked the story somewhat to include incest and political scandal, because OF COURSE.— Carly Lane (@carlylane) December 26, 2017
to set the tone for high school incidents: In 8th grade there was a lunchroom fight between the resident bully & a large, bully-ish new kid. the resident bully got beat into a month-long coma & the new guy turned out to be 20 years old https://t.co/sGSfE7YDnw— pierre menard (@PierreMenard) December 26, 2017
An alumni artist donated 3 giant sculpted metal bulls to display on our school grounds. Rival school painted them their school colors as a prank, and the paint damaged the sculptures. Cost $50K to repair. https://t.co/scra0RlyKd— Lilith Iyapo (@afrodiziac80) December 26, 2017
In fairness, a previous year’s prank involved my school dyeing that school’s pond to our school color, and killing off all of the flora and fauna in it.— Lilith Iyapo (@afrodiziac80) December 26, 2017
We were sued (successfully) by a student we inadvertently defamed in the April Fool's edition of the school paper. https://t.co/Jx6eR5o7Uy— Eric D. Snider (@EricDSnider) December 27, 2017
A good ole blow job in the middle of biology class. Teacher present and everything. It was movie day.— Alex Ethridge (@AlexEthridge) December 26, 2017
Were they caught?— Katie Notopoulos (@katienotopoulos) December 26, 2017
Yeah. Both sent to an “alternative school” for the remainder of their high school careers. I presume not the same one, though. 😂— Alex Ethridge (@AlexEthridge) December 26, 2017
the football players' dads ordered strippers to the players' party. the football players turned the strippers down. it made the news? SNL Weekend Update made fun of them, calling them the Northeastern High Gay Birds.— Caragh Poh (@caraghpoh) December 26, 2017
1. Principal dropped dead in office week before graduation— Spatch (@spatch) December 27, 2017
2. Vice-Principal had affairs with several teachers, everyone knew
3. Kid overdosed
4. Another kid killed his abusive stepfather & was sent away
4. Science teacher was caught in FBI child porn sting, nobody was surprised https://t.co/i27IEgNaKg
6. Totally different science teacher vanished one day, years later we find out he attacked student in classroom during after-school tutoring and was run out of town by her family within 24 hours. https://t.co/OogyNVnY0r— Jam Today (@saucissonsec) December 27, 2017
Someone left campus during study hall to buy cocaine but when an undercover cop arrested him, it turned out to be a bag full of sheetrock— ⭐️bex schwartz (@starbex) December 26, 2017
A 23-year old man lied and registered as a senior so he could play football. He sexually assaulted someone in the science hallway after school.— Danielle Henderson (@knottyyarn) December 26, 2017
A girl in my class received menacing letters from a stalker but then it turned out she was sending them to herself. She left the school. Her parents didn’t let her cut her hair so I feel like ultimately it was their fault?— Kate Spencer (@katespencer) December 26, 2017
Me. I was the incident. The only openly gay kid in an eastern Kentucky high school from 2001-2004. You can imagine how that went over 😂— Skylar Baker-Jordan (@SkylarJordan) December 27, 2017
deadass an emu ran thru our playground one time during recess. happened 5 years before high school but It was still “the incident” https://t.co/B7FYsLFYHg— alison (@alithegatorrr) December 27, 2017
1. My high school had slanted roofs that faced the road. I witnessed 4 years of boys drawing dicks on the roof skeeting on the lower classes every few weeks.— not walkin' in a winter wonderland ❄ (@iamnotvoldemort) December 27, 2017
"The Incident" was when it came with a Bible verse.
It was after that one the school put cameras on the roof. https://t.co/vVEhoA3krz
2. The biggest non-penis case of vandalism was a group of boys who covered all the halls in the main building with flour, eggs, oil, and rotten fish. They also destroyed the locks with play doh and silly putty.— not walkin' in a winter wonderland ❄ (@iamnotvoldemort) December 27, 2017
3. My school had a lot of bomb threats called in. Especially my senior year. Usually once every 3-4 months. My senior year we got 3 in one week and a few more throughout the year.— not walkin' in a winter wonderland ❄ (@iamnotvoldemort) December 27, 2017
Adult me is horrified with how desensitized we all were to it.
4. My world history teacher showed a group of students the Abu-Ghraib prison torture videos.— not walkin' in a winter wonderland ❄ (@iamnotvoldemort) December 27, 2017
(Not the whole class, just his favorites he would always hang out with while he gave the rest of the class busy work.)
He still had a job for at least 3-4 years after that.
Our high school "incident"?— Kayla Ava Maria🎄 (@Maria_Giesela) December 27, 2017
Take your pick.
-Wrestling team hazing
-a "train" in the boys locker room
-someone's pictures sent to the entire school, including teachers. and one of the teachers was that someone's mom.
-unfair arrest of black student
I got more. pic.twitter.com/iqJLlxEoWU
To those of you in the Comments section: what was The Incident that took place at your high school when you were a student? (This is a judgment-free zone, so if your incident involves you dating any Jordan Catalano types, feel free to share with the rest of the class)
- What if 'Independence Day' with Will Smith is a Warning?
- With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility: Voting for the Pajiba 10 Begins Now
- The 10 Best Movies Of 2019 So Far
- Meghan McCain Wants to Quit 'The View' (WHY, GOD?!)
- 'Yesterday' Is A Love Letter To East Anglia