‘I Think That Little Anakin Skywalker Stole That Movie!’ And Other Sobering Messages From Fans Of ‘The Phantom Menace’
Quick! — What’s the internet’s favourite thing right now? No, not Donald Trump. Why, Star Wars: The Force Awakens, of course!
J.J. Abrams and Disney have done a hell of a number on us — convincing us somehow that this will be definitely something to love, rather than something to scorn and make into a perpetual punching bag, à la Lucas’ dreaded prequel trilogy, and we can’t bloody wait for this movie! Well guess what, guys, we’ll be finding out the truth of the matter next week.
But before that happens, let’s take a look back to how we reacted to that evergreen internet boogeyman, The Phantom Menace, sixteen years ago. Let’s witness all that volcanic rage and frothing bile, right there at ground zero, to remind ourselves to remain cautiously optimistic. Let the fans leaving the cinema in 1999 show us why it’s important to not get too excited.
Huh. Ok, well.
I guess we all loved it?
- What if 'Independence Day' with Will Smith is a Warning?
- With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility: Voting for the Pajiba 10 Begins Now
- The 10 Best Movies Of 2019 So Far
- Meghan McCain Wants to Quit 'The View' (WHY, GOD?!)
- 'Yesterday' Is A Love Letter To East Anglia