Robert DeNiro (Mueller) and Ben Stiller (Cohen) Give 'SNL' Its Best Cold Open in a Long While
This week’s cold open takes place at the Department of Justice, where Mike Pence and Jeff Sessions meet with Trump’s attorney, Michael Cohen, played by … Ben Stiller, who is actually perfectly cast in the role. “Look: We got a real problem here. Do you have any idea how much evidence I have in my office? I have a whole hard drive that’s just labeled, ‘Yikes!’” Stiller’s Cohen is perfectly crooked, dumb, and a Trump kiss ass.
Robert Mueller also appears, and he’s being played by Robert fucking DeNiro, people. That’s gotta kill Trump sitting at home. He’s played by Baldwin, and Mueller is being played by DeNiro, who — by the way — gives Cohen a lie detector test in the cold open. “How’d you like that pee pee tape?”
The code names Mueller has for the Trump inner circle are goddamn amazing, too, and the Meet the Parents nod is nice, too.
Best cold open in a long time. It manages to be both funny and sharp, something the Baldwin-centric cold opens haven’t managed to do this season.
- What if 'Independence Day' with Will Smith is a Warning?
- With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility: Voting for the Pajiba 10 Begins Now
- The 10 Best Movies Of 2019 So Far
- Meghan McCain Wants to Quit 'The View' (WHY, GOD?!)
- 'Yesterday' Is A Love Letter To East Anglia