What The F*ck Is Happening on Orphan Black?
Orphan Black starts its final season tonight at 10pm ET on BBC America. The show has been incredibly uneven, with convoluted plotlines held up by remarkable acting and spectacular chemistry. It’s been a joy to watch Tatiana Maslany, Jordan Gavaris, Maria Doyle Kennedy, Kristian Bruun, Kevin Hanchard, and Evelyn Brochu even as I’ve been trying to keep straight the various crosses and double crosses between Neolution, The Dyad Institute, the Proletheans, Topside, the Brightborn group, and probably at least three others I’m forgetting. Remember that time Sarah and Helena were being held on a military black ops base? I totally do! Helena talked to a scorpion! It was the only time Paul was interesting! But I don’t actually remember why. Was Kyra psychic for a hot second there? I feel like she was and then everyone forgot. It’s been like that. But with a finale season, hopefully there’s enough time to focus on what matters (the clones, and their family that they’ve created) while streamlining all the conspiracy plots.
So where did we leave all the clones at the end of season 4?
- Cosima is on the secret Neolution island with Dr.Duncan and Charlotte working to create a new Leda line with Sarah’s Eggs and the Castor clone’s sperm. Except something goes wrong (obviously) and she almost dies in the woods instead of almost dying somewhere else as she’s been doing for four seasons. She ends up at a weird Neolution camp with Delphine and possibly the founder of Neolution.
- Allison and Donnie have left to hide out with Helena who is enormously pregnant with twins.
- Helena is enormously pregnant with twins. I expect at some point during the season she’ll simply stop walking, squat, pop out two babies, bite off the umbilical cords, hike up her shirt and start nursing while resuming whatever she’d been doing before. Probably killing someone. It’ll be great.
- Rachel continues to verbally make the case for cloning why demonstrating that an individual who considers themselves a product is a terrible thing to encourage. She’s recently become personally instead of indirectly homicidal and is on the verge of meeting the founder of Neolution.
- Sarah continues to try to save everyone while never learning that her tendency to try to save everyone is what always puts her in danger. So she did that, Rachel stabbed her, and now she’s dying on a mystery island populated by weird a weird science cult and clones.
- Crystal is still delightfully unaware and yet more aware than anyone expects her to be. Guys, I think Crystal’s making a strong case to be my favorite clone.
There are other details to be wrapped up, Mr.s and Kyra are in the clutches of Ferdinand. Felix is somewhere? Possibly with Crystal. Here’s the final trailer and it looks like it will all come down to Kyra, one last time.
Ok, I think we’re ready.
Edit: I mistakenly said Cosima was on the black ops base with Sarah. I know this is wrong and have edited it.
- What if 'Independence Day' with Will Smith is a Warning?
- With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility: Voting for the Pajiba 10 Begins Now
- The 10 Best Movies Of 2019 So Far
- Meghan McCain Wants to Quit 'The View' (WHY, GOD?!)
- 'Yesterday' Is A Love Letter To East Anglia