Holy Fork, Did You See [REDACTED] Coming On Last Night's 'The Good Place'?
Welcome! Everything is HOLY FORKING SHIRTBALLS DID ANYONE SEE THAT TWIST COMING?
I will, as usual, be pointing out some of the less obvious jokes and hidden bits from the episode, but first, we’re gonna have to unpack what just happened.
(Seriously, go away if you haven’t watched yet. After the giphy, spoilers galore.)
I think a fair number of you were worried Michael had been replaced by Vicky (wearing a Michael suit) at the end of the first episode this season. And it made a lot of sense, since we’d already been shown the suit, and it felt like Chris Baker was caught way too easily.
Well, those who were suspicious were right! Sort of. As right as Glenn, if it makes you feel any better.
But now that we know that it was Janet, and not Michael, who was swapped out by the bad guys, it’s time for a new segment called:
A QUICK ATTEMPT AT CATALOGING EVERY CLUE BAD JANET GAVE US AS JANET
- This nod (as Eleanor says that the world revolves around entitled white men) seems, in retrospect, much more happy about that fact:
- Helped get the rest of the team to question Eleanor’s leadership
- Broke up with Jason (although how did she know that they were on the rocks?)
- Not only did she tell Jason that the Jaguars cut Blake Bortles, she didn’t even tell him about his replacement, Gardner Minshew, who looks like this:
Oh yes, he’s wearing jorts. That he cut himself. 100% would, while never replacing Blake Bortles, at least be a new hero for Jason to root for.
- Gave Tahani bad advice in dealing with John — first to make him feel special, then to be more direct
- Eventually suggested Tahani should punch John in the face, which is, in retrospect, a Michael-kicking-a-dog-into-the-sun flashing warning light:
- Built Magic Pictionary game that brought Chidi’s nightmarish horse drawing to life
- “Accidentally” described how she had to put the horse down (there was head-twisting and lots of thrashing)
- Blew Glenn up just before he was about to talk
- As Jason eventually realizes, didn’t correct him when he called her girl
So did you know? If so, when? (I didn’t, like, at all.) And do you think this ends the suit shenanigans? Or will it come back?
Questions to be answered another time. But for now, let’s look at the hidden jokes from this week!
Small detail here, but of course Brent is drinking his beer from a boot.
In a Glenn POV (which, wait, what?!) flashback, Vicky complains that if the suit makes her melt, she’s going to be, like, so annoyed, which is not a hidden joke, but turned out to be a setup for some of the logic later, when we learn that Glenn will be fine, even after this:
Deleted (Sex) Scene?
When Eleanor returns from her walk/talk with Chidi/eating a giant plate of nachos, some of Derek’s… toys are in the living room.
Harmless set dressing to change up the picture? Or is there a secret scene that Standards and Practices forced them to remove?
Holy Shirt Do They Think Of Everything…
Not a joke, but I just wanted to appreciate this attention to detail: in the Bad Janet POV (again, what?) flashback, they made sure you can see other Bad Janet’s hands as she’s texting outside. Honestly, if they hadn’t given it to us, we would’ve been fine, but that just deserves a hand (and another pair of hands outside, distracting you).
Anyway, that’s it for this week. What did I miss? And who will have a worse time next week - Jason and Michael, surrounded by literal demons, or Eleanor, who’s left with only Tahani to work with?
Image sources (in order of posting): NBC, Getty Images