Your Friends, Neighbors and These 22 Celebrities Are Muslim
Yesterday, an unnamed man stood in the French capital’s Place de la Republique with a blindfold on and a sign that read: “I’m a Muslim but I’m told that I’m a terrorist. I trust you, do you trust me? If yes, hug me.”
This is what happened, only four days after the attacks that left over 150 dead.
Meanwhile, in America, Donald Trump vowed again yesterday to close down mosques throughout the country and place others under heavy surveillance. Last month, he was asked if he was also asked if he would close down mosques, and he replied: “I would do that. Absolutely, I think it’s great.”
They seem nice pic.twitter.com/n4KSsz8vbN— Will Bunch (@Will_Bunch) November 18, 2015
In France, they can separate a Muslim from a terrorist. The President of France, in fact, was careful to single out the radical elements in declaring war on ISIS. “It is a war against terrorism, against jihadism, against radical Islam.”
It is not a war against Muslims.
Many, especially in the GOP, have neglected to single out the radical element, choosing instead to lump all Muslims together. Here’s a random Trump supporter on the issue.
Those “Muslims” he wants to deport are our friends and our neighbors. They constitute nearly one percent of the American population. They are also in the TV shows we watch, the films we go see, and on the sportsball teams for which we root.
Muslim does not equal ISIS. Why is this so hard for people to comprehend?— ♡ Caitlyn ♡ (@CaitlynGolem) November 18, 2015
I've spent the last 20 years teaching and directing muslim students. Guess what? They're just like the others!— Stephen Gordon (@stephenfgordon) November 17, 2015
Here are 22 celebrities, many of whom we love. They also happen to be Muslim.
1. Dave Chappelle - comedian, actor, producer, writer
2. Ice Cube - rapper, actor, music producer
3. Jemima Khan - journalist, heiress, activist
4. Shaquille O’ Neal - former NBA player, “actor”, NBA analyst
5. Kareem Adbul-Jabbar - former NBA player, coach, actor, author, U.S. global cultural ambassador
6. Janet Jackson - singer, actress, songwriter
7. Ellen Burstyn - actress
8. Cat Stevens AKA Yusef Islam - singer, songwriter, philanthropist
9. Iman Abdulmajid - model, actress, activist, entrepreneur
10. Zayn Malik - singer
11. Mos Def - actor, hip hop artist, activist
12. Aasif Mandvi - actor, comedian, Daily Show correspondent
13. Muhammed Ali - the greatest
14. Ghostface Killah - nothin’ ta fuck wit
15. Raekwon - see previous entry
16. Lupe Fiasco - singer, rapper, producer, entrepreneur
17. Q-Tip - rapper, music producer
18. Craig Hodges - former NBA player, basketball coach
19. Everlast - musician, singer, songwriter, rapper
20. MC Ren - rapper, Villain Entertainment founder and owner
21. Shohreh Aghdashloo - actress
22. Akon - singer, rapper
- What if 'Independence Day' with Will Smith is a Warning?
- With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility: Voting for the Pajiba 10 Begins Now
- The 10 Best Movies Of 2019 So Far
- Meghan McCain Wants to Quit 'The View' (WHY, GOD?!)
- 'Yesterday' Is A Love Letter To East Anglia