By Andrew Sanford | News | March 18, 2026
The dust has settled as the Oscars have now been over for several days. Hopes were dashed, fellow performers were celebrated, and Timothee Chalamet got absolutely dunked on only to leave the awards empty-handed. There was lots to love, but it should surprise no one who has even passingly visited this site over the years that my favorite aspect was the tall, magnificent redhead known as Conan O’Brien. He commanded the stage for the second year in a row, and really performed in a way that felt… final.
I’m not saying Conan is going to stop performing for people! That would be insane and something he’s likely physically incapable of. I just mean that he was lobbing jokes that made it feel like he was less concerned with being invited back next year. Last year had more of an “I’m happy to be here” vibe, while this year had more of an “I’m not going to let up” feel. That included multiple political okes (not usually his forte), ragging on Amazon, and spanking a fake Timothee Chalamet butt on stage.
All of this is pure Conan, but it just felt less protective than last year. It ruled. And, by the end, he appeared in a sketch modeled after the ending of One Battle After Another that saw him being offered the position of Host for Life only to be, well, murdered and replaced by Mr. Beast (at least in placard form). That may not be far from the truth, as the Oscars will be streamed on YouTube next year. But, according to Rob Mills, the executive vice president, unscripted and alternative entertainment, who’s in charge of the Oscars telecast, that was no joke.
Conan is host for life, yes,” Mills told Variety. “He hasn’t even accepted yet. He’s just being told. We’re assuming that was not a comedy bit. We’re going to treat that as if that was fact.” On the one hand, that would be pretty great! Conan is no stranger to YouTube, thanks to his podcast and appearance on Hot Ones. It would certainly be a big get to have him return. But I’m also not going to pretend that I understand the whims of studio executives.
With a move to a more hip and accessible platform, the Oscars may decide to move in a different direction. This year’s show felt more geared toward people who have seen the movies being nominated, as opposed to trying to ensnare new fans, but that doesn’t mean things won’t shift when the show moves to a different platform. Most people have access to YouTube, but not everyone can just flip on ABC. The world is changing while Conan remains the same. Maybe that stability will return to next year’s ceremony, or perhaps the Mr. Beast prophecy will finally come to pass.