I finally managed to see Captain America: War for Steve’s Heart this past weekend, several weeks behind everyone else. But everything you all said was completely true! Every last bit of it, even the parts that contradicted each other, but I’m baffled as to how none of you warned me about the obvious new double agent in the Marvel universe. I guess if I don’t read the comics I’ll never really understand the full context, but there are a lot of things fishy about this Sharon Carter person who’s been making eyes at Cap for two movies now and I, for one, am not willing to stay silent about it. Maybe it’s extra obvious in the comics, but even someone like me, who’s only seen the Marvel films and watched Agent Carter, has less information to work with. But let’s review:
- Appears to be a perky 30ish while claiming to be the niece of a woman who’s near 100.
- Steve had contact with Peggy and she never once mentioned that she had a niece who’d gone into service. Seems like the kind of thing they would chat about even if she didn’t specifically know that her “niece” was in SHIELD.
- On Agent Carter, Peggy’s brother died in the war. We never heard about any other siblings. This would mean even if he’d had a daughter, she would be in her 70s. But let’s say he did manage to father a son before dying tragically young, most people born in the late 30s/early 40s weren’t having kids in the 1980s if we’re going with the “great-niece” explanation. Still not convincing, timeline-wise.
- Why is Peggy’s niece American?
- When Steve went to visit Peggy, she had photos of herself with what appeared to be her own two children. She looks over at them proudly when Steve admires them, but never mentions any other family to Steve. Again, if she still had a niece she was close to, wouldn’t there be a photo of her there? At least of her as a child if they wanted to keep her “true identity” under wraps?
Now, none of these are smoking guns in and of themselves, but when you start thinking about them, they become suspicious. Maybe you’d then ask how is it possible that an imposter could deliver a eulogy at Peggy’s funeral? Well, did Peggy have any other surviving family that we know of? Or was it just her in that nursing home? Because if it was just her, some “distant relation” stepping up at a tragic moment probably wouldn’t be checked out too thoroughly. “So sad that she doesn’t have anyone else left, I’m glad that I’m here to do the right thing for Aunt Peggy.” “Yes, of course, Ms.Carter, just sign here and we’re so sorry for your loss.”
Why is this “Sharon Carter” individual pretending to be Peggy Carter’s niece? It can’t just be for the sweet Cap Ass. For one, there’s really no guarantee that would work out, and for another, faking a eulogy and fun family stories really is a long way to go for some extremely chaste kissing. So there has to be something else going on, right? Now, like I said I don’t read the comics (but I hear THOSE have gone off the deep end lately too) so I’m not super sure what “Sharon Carter” could be up to, but we are winding up to start a new phase of the Marvel movies. The possibilities are endless. And, of course, one of those possibilities is that the writing of tertiary characters is sloppy and I’m paying too much attention to properly enjoy things. But that’s one of the less fun possibilities, let’s hear your suggestions for the MOST fun possibility.