The Point in the Trump Administration When We Hit the Panic Button
There are two headline choices for a post like this. The hopeful one:
1) Megyn Kelly Shuts Down Trump Surrogate for Citing Japanese Internment Camps as Precedent for Muslim Registry
Or the more realistic one:
2) Who Fucking Cares What Megyn Kelly Shut Down, Because A Trump Surrogate Is Actually Citing Japanese Internment Camps as Fucking Precedent for a Muslim Registry
Trump surrogates are already citing Japanese internment camps from WW II as "precedent" for Muslim registry pic.twitter.com/DVnjtom0mc— Brendan Karet (@bad_takes) November 17, 2016
My wife created a minor in Holocaust Studies when she went to Smith. This entire election has been terrifying for everyone, but from an academic perspective, so much of it has been downright chilling for her, to see all the echoes of Hitler, Goebbels, and Holocaust Germany. She was fairly certain Trump would win all along, and I naysayed the hell out of her, told her there was no fucking way, have some faith in the country. It didn’t assuage her fears. She’d studied how it had happened before, and it followed a similar blueprint.
She said when they won, we wouldn’t move to Canada immediately, we’d stay and fight. Unless, she said, they started taking names and compiling lists. Once they do that, we are fucked. That’s when we hit the panic button.
A Muslim registry is exactly what she means. If that gets through, Muslims in this country are in a world of danger, and those of us who will no doubt harbor them will probably face similar dangers. Watch lists for people based on their religion? That’s the beginning, and where it ends is too terrifying to consider.
A Muslim registry cannot happen in America. We cannot let it happen. Good for Megyn Kelly for shutting down that Trump surrogate, but it’s not going to mean a damn thing if Congress can’t shut down a Muslim registry.
Lest we forget, this is what "precedent" looks like. pic.twitter.com/QysTpGx5CJ— Jon Tsuei (@jontsuei) November 17, 2016
- What if 'Independence Day' with Will Smith is a Warning?
- With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility: Voting for the Pajiba 10 Begins Now
- The 10 Best Movies Of 2019 So Far
- Meghan McCain Wants to Quit 'The View' (WHY, GOD?!)
- 'Yesterday' Is A Love Letter To East Anglia