Yes, This is Really a Trailer for a Live-Action 'Sonic the Hedgehog' Movie
So hey, you know how Detective Pikachu actually looks like a lot of fun and could surprise us all by being a video game adaptation that actually works?
Well, have you seen that they’re making a Sonic the Hedgehog movie too? That’s live action. With a CGI Sonic. Voiced by Jean-Ralphio from Parks and Recreation. And Jim Carrey is Dr. Robotnik. And the helpful human character is James Marsden.
So, now that you’ve seen it…
Boy, that musical cue was a Choice.
This trailer is fascinating for oh so many reasons beyond ‘Gangster’s Paradise’. It feels like something that would have been made if the Super Mario Bros. film had been a success, right down to Jim Carrey in full-blown ’90s goofball mode. Given the ubiquitous nature of Sonic and the dedication of his fan-base (do NOT Google Sonic pictures without the child filters, I beg of you), I’m surprised we haven’t gotten at least an animated movie out of this before now. Maybe this will be secretly good? Maybe they’ll pull it off and James Marsden will get the film career he deserves? But yeah… those eyes. The legs. The overwhelming sense of uncanny valley horror.
Sonic the Hedgehog will be released in North America on November 8.
Header Image Source: Youtube // Paramount
- With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility: Voting for the Pajiba 10 Begins Now
- Spoilers: Digging into the Runes Throughout ‘Midsommar,’ What the Hell They All Mean, and the Easter Eggs Ari Aster Hid Throughout
- By Erasing Oasis for a Cheap Joke, ‘Yesterday’ Also Does One of Its Only Female Characters a Disservice
- Review: Tom Holland Is Perfect In 'Spider-Man: Far From Home' Even as the Story Struggles
- On the Spectacular 'Evvie Drake Starts Over' and the Time NPR's Linda Holmes Twitter Shamed Me