God, This Is So Dumb, But Fine: The Chris Cuomo 'Fredo' Controversy Explained
Apparently, CNN anchor Chris Cuomo was out with his wife and kid, and some heckler called him a “Fredo,” and Cuomo lost it. He said Fredo was the N-word for Italians and threatened to throw the guy down the stairs.
A man in NY yesterday approached CNN's Chris Cuomo and called him "Fredo"— Ryan Saavedra (@RealSaavedra) August 13, 2019
Cuomo: "You're going to have a problem"
Man: "What are you going to do about it?"
Cuomo: "I'll fuckin ruin your shit. I'll fucking throw you down these stairs"
Credit: "THAT'S THE POINT with Brandon" pic.twitter.com/4iWwzaSQpF
Because this is the world we live in now, Donald Trump saw the video and piled on, because even though “Fredo” is not the N-word for Italians by any means, Donald Trump probably thought it was the closest he could get to using the N-word without getting in trouble.
CNN stood by its anchor, saying that it was an orchestrated set-up.
Ironically, Sean Hannity came to Chris Cuomo’s defense, too.
I say good for @ChrisCuomo— Sean Hannity (@seanhannity) August 13, 2019
He’s out with his 9 year old daughter, and his wife, and this guy is being a jackass in front of his family.
Imho Chris Cuomo has zero to apologize for. He deserves the apology. https://t.co/VnyMNgz14U
Double ironically, anti-Trump conservative Joe Walsh is actually a sensible voice of reason here:
1. The guy is an ass who rudely got in the face of a public figure on vacation with his family.— Joe Walsh (@WalshFreedom) August 13, 2019
2. @ChrisCuomo had every right to defend himself.
3. “Fredo” is not the “n-word.”
4. Now can we move on to stuff that matters like Trump’s stupid trade war killing American farmers?
Triple ironically, Donald Trump Jr. tried to insult Chris Cuomo but instead delivered basically the greatest self-own of 2019:
It’s interesting: I just read a Nate Silver piece on why Trump’s “tough-guy masculinity” may be a problem for Democrats in 2020, but after all of this? Jesus Christ, vote for a woman, people, so we don’t have to put up with this bullsh*t every day. It’s beyond dumb. “Orchestrated setup or not,” Elizabeth Warren is never going to threaten to wreck some guy’s shit and throw him down the stairs.
Header Image Source: Getty Images
- I Swear, If You All Make Olivia Jade Some Ironic Scammer Queen, I Will Riot
- Book Review: Believe The Hype About Jia Tolentino’s ‘Trick Mirror’
- Oh, By the Way ...
- F*ck Me Up, Greta Gerwig! The 'Little Women' Trailer is Here
- Underwater Cameraman Gently Nudges Great White Shark Away From Face