Saturday Night Live cast member Vanessa Bayer did a Reddit AMA yesterday to help promote Sound Advice, a parody talk show on the web where she interviews mostly hipster musicians (and I don’t mean hipster in a derogatory way; I mean it in an accurate way, plus the episode with Drake was outstanding). In the AMA, we also learn that Bayer got her start as an intern on Sesame Street (and later, Conan’s Late Night) and fought leukemia through most of her childhood.
Here were her 9 best answers.
1. I’m a big fan of your work. My question is what’s your favorite movie of all time?
Tommy Boy and anything with Claire Danes and/or Jared Leto.
2. How did overcoming childhood leukemia affect your life and your comedy career?
I think it really gave me a good perspective on life in general and taught me that comedy really does have the power to make you feel better and lift your spirits. During everything I went through, my family and friends never stopped making me laugh.
3. Do you/the cast write sketches specifically around something you personally want to happen. Like, did you think, “I want to kiss Josh Hutcherson”, then write the turkey sketch around it?
I didn’t write that sketch, but if you’re asking if it was always a dream to kiss Josh Hutcherson while dressed as a turkey, the answer is yes.
4. Is it hard being the least known member of SNL?
5. So when Miley Cyrus finally hosted an episode of SNL, did she think your impression of her was…pretty cool?
She’s always been so great about it! In fact this last time she hosted, we had to talk “as Mileys” in unison, and I actually gave her a couple tips on how to do an impression of herself! She is one of my favorite hosts that we’ve had- super sweet, funny, and professional! She’s definitely pretty cool.
6. What’s been the funniest or weirdest moment that happened during writing night? Those long hours seem like a good setup for some absurdly funny happenings.
Taran’s reenactment of the Robyn song “Call your Girlfriend” was definitely a highlight. We didn’t know exactly what we were getting into and then we were like, oh wait, he has the whole dance from the video memorized!
7. What has been your all time favorite sketch that you were in? I love the one where you and Paul Rudd are negotiating your divorce!
That is definitely up there! I got to do what I think is my pretty good “mom dance” with Paul Rudd and what could be more fun than that!
8. Do you have an interesting story about Bobby Moynihan you can share?
When you mention his name I feel joy.
9. At the very end of that sketch you and Louis CK did were you’re detectives, Louis seemed to flub his line of “I love you” by laughing and asking, “What?”, breaking character. Can you give us any insight into why that happened?
His cue card was supposed to say “I love you now” but it said “I love you KNOW” It was so funny that I kept the cue card and it’s now in my dressing room.