Rudy Giuliani, Kanye West, Meghan McCain Earn a Place Among The Most Notable Quotes of 2018
Of all people, Rudy Giuliani topped the list of the most notable quotes of 2018. The list comes from a Yale Law School librarian, Fred Shapiro. He updates the The Yale Book of Quotations, which has been published annually since 2006. The quotes are not the best quotes, but best reflect the times.
Here’s his full list of the ten most notable quotes of the year.
1. “Truth isn’t truth.” - Rudy Giuliani, interview on “Meet the Press,” Aug. 19.
2. “I liked beer. I still like beer.” - Brett Kavanaugh, U.S. Senate Judiciary Committee testimony on his Supreme Court nomination, Sept. 27.
3. “While all pharmaceutical treatments have side effects, racism is not a known side effect of any Sanofi medication.” - Sanofi drug company, in a tweet responding to Roseanne Barr’s blaming of their product Ambien in explaining a tweet that led ABC to cancel her show, May 30.
4. “We gather to mourn the passing of American greatness, the real thing, not cheap rhetoric from men who will never come near the sacrifice he gave so willingly, nor the opportunistic appropriation of those that live lives of comfort and privilege while he suffered and served.” - Meghan McCain, eulogy for John McCain, Sept. 1.
5. “We’re children. You guys, like, are the adults. You need to take some action and play a role. Work together, come over your politics and get something done.” - David Hogg, a survivor of the Parkland, Florida, school shooting, in a CNN interview, Feb. 15.
6. “(I am) not smart, but genius … and a very stable genius at that!” - President Donald Trump, in a tweet, Jan. 6.
7. “You don’t have to agree with Trump but the mob can’t make me not love him. We are both dragon energy. He is my brother. I love everyone.” - Kanye West, in a tweet, April 25.
8. “Our country is led by those who will lie about anything, backed by those who will believe anything, based on information from media sources that will say anything.” - James Comey, in a tweet, May 23.
9. “I have just signed your death warrant.” - Judge Rosemarie Aquilina, addressing former USA Gymnastics doctor Larry Nassar upon sentencing him to up to 175 years in prison for sexual assault, Jan. 24.
10. “If you see anybody from that Cabinet in a restaurant, in a department store, at a gasoline station, you get out and you create a crowd! And you push back on them. And you tell them they’re not welcome anymore, anywhere.” - Rep. Maxine Waters, in remarks at a rally in Los Angeles, June 23.
I think those are all excellent choices. I am gonna put forward a few more possibilities for most notable (not best) quotes of the year:
— “I actually really like Sarah. I think she’s very resourceful. But she burns facts and then she uses that ash to create a perfect smokey eye. Like maybe she’s born with it, maybe it’s lies. It’s probably lies.” — Michelle Wolf, Correspondent’s Dinner
— ” As a husband, a son, and future father, I do not condone any kind of mistreatment of women.” — Chris Hardwick, August 3rd.
— “Against all odds, I decide to run for President & continue to run my business-very legal & very cool.” — Donald Trump, Twitter
— It is clear that Kanye West is being sensational for the sake of publicity. I could care less about that. But for you to use the murder and holocaust of slavery for your own self aggrandizement is at the core of your vile appeasement of white supremacists. You glorify those that murdered our mothers & fathers, raped our women, & swelled our numbers with bastards. You Kayne West embrace those who inhumanly experimented on our bodies to watch the ravage of death for decades in Tuskegee. You lift up those that taught us a religion that they disgraced. And in the name of Jesus bought, sold, tortured and killed in the name of God. Slavery wasn’t a choice, it was a crime against humanity without a denouement of Justice. — Wendell Pierce, May 2nd, Twitter
— “Am considering taking Tesla private at $420. Funding secured.” Elon Musk, August 7th, Twitter
— “And so non-violently, peacefully, while the eyes of this country are watching these games, they take a knee to bring our attention and our focus to this problem to ensure that we fix it. That is why they are doing it. And I can think of nothing more American than to peacefully stand up, or take a knee, for your rights, any time, anywhere, in any place.” — Beto O’Rourke, August 21st
— “I am deeply shocked and hurt by having read news that is absolutely false. I never had any sexual relationship with Bennett.” — Asia Argento, August 21st.
— “Muslim brotherhood & planet of the apes had a baby=vj.” — Roseanne Barr, May 28th
— “Wakanda Forever.” — Black Panther
— “I have two words to leave with you tonight, ladies and gentlemen: inclusion rider.” — Frances McDormand, March 4th at the Oscars
— “I lost $35 million in an hour.” — Louis C.K., October 15th.
— “I personally chose to help a friend. I can understand others might disapprove, as his conviction was on a sensitive charge and not to be taken lightly.” — Shane Black, September 5th.
What’d I miss?
Header Image Source: Getty