Over the weekend, the NY Daily News reported that the female cast of Saturday Night Live was upset about the fact that Strong had been given the boot from “Weekend Update,” instead of Colin Jost. A “confidential source” allegedly heard Sasheer Zamata complaining to a friend about the situation:
She was saying that it’s bull—- that in 2014 there would be two males and no women in such a prominent position on the show. She said that there should be at least one man and one woman or, if anything, two women. She was incredulous about it. It’s obviously something that she feels very passionately about. She said they think it’s unfair
That doesn’t really ring with much authenticity. At any rate, the Daily News piece did gain enough traction over the weekend to provoke Cecily Strong to address it on Instagram.
Sorry @chethinks. It turns out I'm not sick of you, I'm "fuming" about you! Da Newz told me! So, I guess look out tomorrow. It's not my fault or yours though. Women just always be so angry. We don't know how to be any other way except angry or drunk dancing. @bibbymoynihan I don't know yet how I feel about you. We'll see. 💃💃💃
However, it doesn’t change the fact that Strong should be upset, not that Che was brought in to the Weekend Update desk, but that Jost was allowed to say instead of her. Jost has continued to be awful, and while Che is admittedly better than the both of them, his talents behind the desk only serve to illustrate how much worse Jost is by contrast.