When Should We Stop Calling Them "Girls"? The Coolest Chicks Of The Bond Flicks
News broke on Monday that British actress Naomie Harris is in talks to play Daniel Craig's "sexy sidekick" in the upcoming James Bond 23 (working title). This is tremendously good news because while the gorgeous Miss Harris is obviously qualified for the "sexy," I'm also hoping she puts the kick in "sidekick."
Harris earned her ass-kicking pedigree in Danny Boyle's 28 Days Later and has since been rather wasting her talents as the stupidly accented and bewigged Tia Dalma in the Pirates of The Caribbean franchise. And while the role of "Bond Girl" has a history of being a rather ridiculous, exploitative part for any actress (complete with silly entendre names, thank you so very much, Mr. Fleming), the parts for women in the Bond flicks keep getting better and better. The times they are a-changing. Slowly. Here are some of the coolest (not sexiest) women of the Bond franchise. Some favorites (including Xenia Onatopp) are missing because I do not vibe at all with the hyper-sexed/evil character. How many times has Bond been seduced and betrayed? Ten times now? Not very clever, 007.
9. Strawberry Fields: Even the "throw away" "love 'em and leave 'em" "oops she died creatively" characters are getting cooler.
8. Vesper Lynd: Technically a seduce and destroy villainess, Vesper gets a mention for that last minute attempt at redemption. Oh and she's delectably snarky.
7. Tracy Di Vicenzo: The only woman to ever marry Bond.
6. Honey Ryder: The prototype.
5. Jinx: That stupid tangerine bikini non-withstanding, Berry's Jinx is pretty tough.
4. Natalya Simonova: A computer engineer, Natalya ushered in the new era of Bond females. Smart and intrepid, she obliterated all the eye-candy that came before her.
3. Colonel Wai Lin: Just plain badass.
2. Camille Montes: The only woman to not be seduced by Bond.
1. M: Well, except for her.
Joanna Robinson remembers when Denis Richards was a Thing. She's really very grateful Denise Richards is a Thing no more.
Leave a Comment, But Don't Be a Douche Or We Will Happily Ban You
blog comments powered by Disqus