'We're All Batman': Joseph Gordon-Levitt's Best Answers During His Reddit AMA
Joseph Gordon-Levitt, in support of his new movie, Don Jon, which arrives in theaters next week, appeared on Reddit to answer questions for an hour or so. These were his best answers.
1. Why aren’t you Batman?
We’re all Batman.
2. In the early seasons, your character seemed to fit in with Earth life the best and often seemed set up as a contrast to the stupidity of the older Solomons and this created humor from you having to deal with the consequences of their bumbling. In later seasons though, your character’s apparent intelligence took a nosedive and you seemed to be just as clueless as the others about things, which to my mind made your character superfluous. What can you tell us about this apparent shift in tone for your character and your feelings about it then and now?
I suppose the longer anyone spends on earth, the closer we all get to becoming superfluous characters.
3. First movie? Favorite cartoon growing up? Most embarrassing on his playlist? Favorite Pokemon character?
Dumbo. Thundercats. The Sign, ACE OF BASE. Magic: The Gathering FTW.
4. Explain to me why I should go see Don Jon in a Haiku
fap fap fap fap fap / fap fap fap fap fap fap fap / fap fap fap fap fap // No just kidding um… hm… that’s a hard one. no, that didn’t come out right. shit
5. I know you’re going to get this a lot but…will you marry me???
Yes. I’ll marry you. It will be in the spring. In Italy. I’ll wear Paul Smith. You, Chanel. We will ride off together on two white horses, and have a thousand orgasms as the sun sets over the golden horizon.
6. What every woman is wondering - what do you look for in a woman? Are you single?
I do my very best to not have any rigid expectations. I think the best, juiciest, mind blowing love comes as a surprise. If you’re already looking for the items on your wish list, you’re doomed. This is exactly what DON JON is about. Both my character and Scarlett’s character are blinded by unrealistic expectations they’ve learned from pornography and Hollywood movies.
7. Hi Joe! Would you ever do a musical or act on stage in a play? Is the Guys and Dolls film just a rumor or is that really happening?
Chan and I definitely want to do a musical together. Guys and Dolls is one idea we’re playing around with. Not sure if it’ll happen, we’ll see. But whatever it ends up being, it’s gonna be frickin rad.
8. What was your inspiration behind Don Jon? Where did the storyline of porn come from?
I’ve always paid a lot of attention to the way media affects how we see the world. Probably because I’ve worked as an actor since I was a kid. I often find it funny (and occasionally horrifying) the way we are all influenced by the images we see on screens. Especially when it comes to love and sex and relationships. So I thought the story of a boyfriend and a girlfriend, where he watches too much pornography and she watches too many romantic Hollywood movies would be a funny way at talking about these sorts of things.
9. Why did you choose Scarlett Johansson for the female lead in Don Jon?
First of all because she’s hilarious. See her on SNL? And she balances comedy and sincerity with a delicacy few actors can. Besides that, I thought she’d be a powerful presence in the movie because she’s an acute example of what the movie’s about. Scarlett is an extremely smart person, and a very talented artist. And yet most of what gets talked about is her looks. This part of our culture is what DON JON is poking fun at.
10. If you weren’t in the movie/showbiz industry, where else do you see yourself? AKA have you ever re-assessed your life or ever thought that this industry wasn’t for you?
This industry is definitely not for me. But I love making movies. Story telling never used to be wrapped up in a bunch of glitz and glamour. And soon enough, it won’t be again.
11. How do you feel about giraffes?
If giraffes made a sound I would write it as an onomatopoeia in this reply.
12. Was Bane a big guy in real life? I mean, for you?
Tom is pure murder. Seen Bronson?
Hey man, would you consider singing a Barney song and uploading it to youtube?
Hate to be a hater, but I never liked Barney. One time I sang a sesame street song called I DON’T WANT TO LIVE ON THE MOON. Hold on, lemme find it.
See more Celebrity Facts.
Around the Web
Like Our Facebook Page And an Angel Does the Paul Rudd Dance
blog comments powered by Disqus