15 Depressing Pop-Culture Realities
1. Robert Downey, Jr., John Malkovich, Alan Rickman, and Bill Murray have never won an Oscar. Kevin Costner and Mel Gibson have two apiece.
2. There are no known recordings of George Orwell’s voice; Miley Cyrus’ voice is inescapable.
3. The combined grosses of five of Robert Downey Jr.’s best films, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, Chaplin, Home for the Holidays, Wonder Boys, and Zodiac, made $20 million less than one of his worst, Due Date.
4. Jake Johnson, who plays Nick Miller on New Girl, would have to make 9 episodes of the series in order to make what Ashton Kutcher makes in one episode of Two and a Half Men.
5. There are more episodes of Family Matters than Freaks and Geeks, Firefly, Better off Ted, Deadwood, Undeclared, Terriers, Sports Night, My So-Called Life, and Pushing Daises combined.
6. Buzzfeed has four times the traffic of The New York Times
7. Since 1925, 25 million copies of The Great Gatsby have been sold. Since 2011, 50 Shades of Grey has sold 90 million copies.
8. Disney lost $190 million on The Lone Ranger, or the cost to fund NPR nationwide for an entire year.
9. Celine Dion has sold 100 million more albums than Bob Dylan.
10. Mr. Rogers earned around $139,000 a year, or approximately the same amount that Kevin Clash — the voice of Elmo, who has an estimated worth of $12 million — offered to settle with one of the men with whom he was accused of having underage sex.
11. Jim Parsons earns more personally in three episodes of The Big Bang Theory than the entire production budget for an entire season of FXX’s The League.
12. More people watched Sports Night — cancelled after two seasons — than Scandal, one of ABC’s biggest hits.
13. The cast of Glee has charted more singles in the United States than The Beatles.
14. Chris Brown has three times more Twitter followers than Steve Martin, and 8 times more followers than Patton Oswalt.
15. The combined earnings of Tina Fey, Amy Poehler and Meryl Streep were less than the earnings of Sofia Vergara last year, and half of what Jennifer Lopez earned.
Around the Web
Like Our Facebook Page And an Angel Does the Paul Rudd Dance
blog comments powered by Disqus