So a couple of weeks ago, our fearless leader determined that we had discovered the long game on The Good Place. Which is true. If you’re a fucking rube. (Sorry, boss, it had to be said Publisher’s Note: Fair.). If you aren’t willing to blindly accept the story as it’s shown to you, you might have noticed a few things still don’t make any sense.
- How does Shawn not know what’s going on in Michael’s Bad Place? Demons know literally everything that happens to people on Earth, but nothing about what’s happening in the next department over?
- Or, side question, is it possible that demons don’t really know that much about the people in the Bad Place? Most of the personal moments are flashbacks from the individual person, not Michael. He’s only shown them how they die. Maybe demons actually only have very basic information about the people they torture?
- But back to the original point: Do we have any reason to believe this is actually the Bad Place? It seems highly unlikely that humans would even have the ability to grow or develop if they’re actually being sentenced to an eternity of pain and deprivation.
- Does that make this the Middle Place? What does that make Mindy St. Claire’s house? Maybe the Bad Place is actually the Purgatory Place? And Eleanor and Co. have to earn their way out? Which, good on them for figuring it out.
- Speaking of Mindy St. Claire, that’s clearly an actual Bad Place, right? Being completely alone with mostly shitty things forever is actually the worst, isn’t it?
- Also, what’s up with everyone boning down? That’s not to salt anyone’s game because I’m thrilled they’re all getting theirs. But how is it that everyone seems to have paired off with their “soul mate”? Is this a larger statement about human nature? That the people we love the most are also the ones who inflict the most pain? Or that humans are instinctively masochistic, and will inevitably be attracted to those who hurt us? Would it be impossible for Michael to fully understand the intricacies of human nature, and therefore be unable to predict which side of the love/hate relationship anyone with such a deep connection would fall on?
- Janet is secretly pissed, right? Because how fucking pissed would you be if you had to give couples counseling to your ex-husband and his new girlfriend?
- Also what’s up with Janet in general? We know she’s an actual good Janet stolen from a Good Place, so it doesn’t make sense that helping people would make her glitch out. Why is it that improving Tahani and Jason’s relationship would ruin her circuit board (other than the aforementioned rage at her insensitive ex (also,
not a robot)).
- Does anyone know what Mountain Fresh flavor really is?