For Your Consideration: Megan Rapinoe
Love is a funny thing. Sometimes it’s the slow and deepening adoration of someone you liked into someone who means the world to you. Sometimes it’s seeing someone you knew in an unexpected light that makes you notice them for the first time. Sometimes you just have to cry and pet the TV because the love of your life is a fictional character, but there’s just nothing to be done about it. Sometimes it’s eight words.
Q: “Are you excited about going to the White House?”— Erick Fernandez (@ErickFernandez) June 25, 2019
Megan Rapinoe: “I’m not going to the fucking White House.”pic.twitter.com/OosAQMjYsh
I’m. Not. Going. To. The. F*cking. White. House.
And thus, basically the entire internet fell in love.
So, a couple of things to address:
1) This is, in fact, the second soccer player running in this year’s Ten. I see you, Lord Castleton. And cheers.
2) There’s probably a large contingent of people who are happy/pissed/happy-pissed that the internet is just now catching on to how hot and awesome Rapinoe is. For starters, she’s been kicking ass all over the soccer field for the last ten years and helped lead the 2015 team to a World Cup championship (I’d like to point out here that I know very little about soccer, and will probably butcher some of the terminology. I do know enough about soccer to know that the amount women get paid as compared to the men’s team is a bigger joke than the men’s World Cup record).
Aside from her work on the field (which I very, very much don’t want to overlook),
there’s Rapinoe’s advocacy and activism work. She’s worked with a bunch of LGBTQ groups including Gay, Lesbian & Straight Education Network (GLSEN) and Athlete Ally. And she seems to be great at it. In part, because she’s openly and proudly
I mean, you can tell from that GIF that she’s funny, right? Like just the way she handles herself? Like funny in a cool way, but not too serious?
So she kicks a lot of ass at her job, she’s a role model and advocate for marginalized populations, she seems super fun, she refuses to go to Trump’s White House so she’s clearly smart, and she says, “I’m not going to the f*cking White House” so wildly nonchalantly, she might be the coolest person I’ll never get to meet.
Which is when everyone should start realizing,
Me neither, Megan. Me neither.
Header Image Source: Getty
- With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility: Voting for the Pajiba 10 Begins Now
- Spoilers: Digging into the Runes Throughout ‘Midsommar,’ What the Hell They All Mean, and the Easter Eggs Ari Aster Hid Throughout
- By Erasing Oasis for a Cheap Joke, ‘Yesterday’ Also Does One of Its Only Female Characters a Disservice
- Review: Tom Holland Is Perfect In 'Spider-Man: Far From Home' Even as the Story Struggles
- On the Spectacular 'Evvie Drake Starts Over' and the Time NPR's Linda Holmes Twitter Shamed Me