If your social media feeds are anything like some of mine, you’re seeing the same amount of negativity as before the COVID-19 pandemic sent us all into our homes and out of our everyday habits. I understand how difficult it is to see any silver lining through something like this, but I know that focusing on the positive things happening is so much better for our well-being. Having said that, here are some pieces of news I hope will allow you to see the light at the end of this tunnel.
- According to the Times of India, doctors in the country successfully cured a COVID-19 patient with a combination of H1N1, HIV, and malaria medications (but “public health experts caution that more testing is needed before concluding that the HIV drugs can effectively treat COVID-19”)
- Multiple outlets report that a 103-year-old woman in Wuhan, Zhang Guangfen, recovered from the virus. Diagnosed on March 1, Guangfen left the hospital on March 10 with a clean bill of health.
The grandmother has become the oldest person to recover from the deadly disease so far - days after a 101-year-old man also beat the virus in Wuhan.
A 100-year-old man with Alzheimer’s disease, hypertension and heart failure also recovered from the virus in Wuhan this week after being treated by military doctors.
Chef José Andrés is transforming eight of his acclaimed restaurants in New York City and Washington, DC, into gourmet soup kitchens for those who are struggling to make ends meet in the midst of the coronavirus pandemic from r/UpliftingNews
- Multiple schools are providing meals to any child that needs it during the shutdowns, including those in Ohio. Not only that, but restaurants are offering free meals for those unable to eat without the meal provided during school hours.
Maine landlord praised after saying he won’t collect rent due to coronavirus outbreak from r/UpliftingNews
- Clinical trials of a vaccine for COVID-19 started yesterday with 45 healthy adults between the ages of 18 and 55 receiving an injection. It may still be 12 to 18 months before the vaccine would be ready for widespread use, but it is a start.
- All of the temporary hospitals erected in Wuhan, China, have been dismantled, as the amount of cases is no longer overwhelming to the permanent hospitals in the city. China’s leader, Xi Jinping, even made a visit to Wuhan, signaling that the government believes the worst of the virus is over.
- Shudder is offering a free 30-day trial with the use of promo code SHUTIN. Netflix and multiple other services offer seven to 30 days as well. Charter and Spectrum will also offer free Internet access to low-income households with children who need it to do schoolwork from home.
Header Image Source: NBC