More Bad News For Harvey Weinstein
Over 80 women have now come forward to accuse Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein of sexual misconduct, ranging from sexual harassment, to sexual assault, and rape. Their bravery has inspired others to come forward, creating a wave of revelations that are profoundly shaking up Hollywood, leading to re-casting, cancellations, resignations, and firings. Today, we focus on the consequences Weinstein is facing.
We’ve previously reported that police in New York City, Los Angeles, and London are looking into complaints made against Weinstein. The Guardian now reports, the LAPD and NYPD are working together in their investigations. A NY prosecutor infamously dismissed Italian model Ambra Battilana Gutierrez’s complaint in 2015. But since the recording of her harrowing conversation with Weinstein was made public, there’s intense pressure to get this done, and done right.
In the U.K., an unnamed woman has become the first to file a civil suit against Weinstein and The Weinstein Company, according to THR. And Deadline reports actress Kadian Noble is suing Weinstein Stateside, alleging he committed sex trafficking at the 2014 Cannes Film Festival. Noble is also suing The Weinstein Company for covering his actions up.
On the professional front, Weinstein is no longer a member of the Directors Guild of America. Variety reports he resigned, but it’s implied he did so under pressure of being expelled. This is on the heels of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences ousting him, and the Producers Guild of America banning him for life.
And because this got lost in the shuffle of so much Weinstein Effect news, allow me to backtrack a bit. Early last month, Variety reported Weinstein’s wife, fashion designer Georgina Chapman, said she was leaving him, and issued a statement saying, “My heart breaks for all the women who have suffered tremendous pain because of these unforgivable actions. I have chosen to leave my husband. Caring for my young children is my first priority and I ask the media for privacy at this time.”
Two days later, People announced Chapman would be returning to Project Runway All Stars for its sixth season. Project Runway All Stars is co-produced by The Weinstein Company.
Ronan Farrow, who has been doggedly breaking news on the Weinstein story for The New Yorker, told CBS News Sunday Morning, that Weinstein threatened him ahead of the exposé’s release. His recounting of this experience is another reason we appreciate Farrow: “When Harvey Weinstein threatened to sue me, it was like the scene in Harry Potter where an invitation to Hogwarts is coming in through every window and fireplace and every opening in the house.”
The Weinstein Company is in crisis. Its employees are begging to be let out of their nondisclosure agreements. And their movie slate is a catastrophe. Their only Oscar contender, Wind River, no longer bears any connection to the distributor. The Benedict Cumberbatch prestige pic The Current Wars was kicked off the 2017 release calendar, killing its award season shot. And TWC sold the upcoming Paddington 2, so its U.S. release won’t be tainted through their association.
In short, there’s nothing but bad news for Weinstein.
- What if 'Independence Day' with Will Smith is a Warning?
- With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility: Voting for the Pajiba 10 Begins Now
- The 10 Best Movies Of 2019 So Far
- Meghan McCain Wants to Quit 'The View' (WHY, GOD?!)
- 'Yesterday' Is A Love Letter To East Anglia