Mahershala Ali and Nia Long Clash in 'Roxanne Roxanne' Trailer
At long last the movie gods have heard our prayers and offered up a promising biopic that is not about a white man overcoming an obstacle! It looks like someone finally realized that women of color have incredible stories of their own, worthy of the world’s attention.
Roxanne Roxanne is a bold biopic from writer/director Michael Larnell, which won rave reviews out of its Sundance debut. The film boasts appearances by Mahershala Ali and Nia Long, and centers on an early icon of hip hop, Roxanne Shante, played by newcomer Chanté Adams.
Netflix has just unveiled its gripping trailer:
Here’s the official plot synopsis.
In the early 1980s, the most feared battle MC in Queens, New York, was a fierce teenage girl with the weight of the world on her shoulders. At the age of 14, Lolita “Roxanne Shante” Gooden was well on her way to becoming a Hip-Hop legend as she hustled to provide for her family while defending herself from the dangers of the streets.
Roxanne Roxanne premieres worldwide on Netflix on March 23rd.
- What if 'Independence Day' with Will Smith is a Warning?
- With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility: Voting for the Pajiba 10 Begins Now
- The 10 Best Movies Of 2019 So Far
- Meghan McCain Wants to Quit 'The View' (WHY, GOD?!)
- 'Yesterday' Is A Love Letter To East Anglia