Even Honest Trailers Loves 'Get Out'
Honest Trailer has made a name for itself by picking out plot holes and slathering snark on movies old and new. But sometimes a movie comes along that’s just too damn good to be blithely mocked.
I’ve seen people commenting that Daniel Kaluuya’s performance here is “fine,” but didn’t deserve an Oscar nod. And I want to send them the montage of his reactions here to shut that talk down immediately. In the surreal white suburbia that Jordan Peele created, it’s Kaluuya’s restrained but charming performance that grounds us in his character’s increasingly insane reality. It’s a powerful portrayal that’s purposefully not showy, but requires a great deal of nuance.
Beyond that, Honest Trailers makes excellent points about the symbolism and setups of Get Out, along with its commentary on the horror genre, representation issues and all. But their criticisms seems a stretch, right? Especially because there’s been a whole line of sharp observations about that milk scene.
But Honest Trailers gonna Honest Trailers, I guess.
- What if 'Independence Day' with Will Smith is a Warning?
- With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility: Voting for the Pajiba 10 Begins Now
- The 10 Best Movies Of 2019 So Far
- Meghan McCain Wants to Quit 'The View' (WHY, GOD?!)
- 'Yesterday' Is A Love Letter To East Anglia