Adam Driver As Clueless's Cher Horowitz Is The Furious Balm You Didn't Know You Needed
Alicia Silverstone became an instant icon for children of the ’90s with her plaid-bedecked, peppy, and earnest spin in Amy Heckerling’s comedy classic Clueless. It’s almost impossible to imagine anyone else in the role. But W Magazine dared to dream what a gender-swapped remake might look like. Adam Driver, Andrew Garfield, Alden Ehrenreich, and Lucas Hedges were invited to audition, using the fan-favorite monologue from Cher’s debate class.
Okay, so this video is from 2017. But great performances are timeless, and Driver’s angry take on Cher has us totally bugging. Still, it’s a shame these inegendudes pronounced Haitians correctly. It’s hard to say if it’s because they didn’t want to mimic the accidental genius of Silverstone’s innocent on set mistake or if—steel yourself—they haven’t watched Clueless over and over until every line and inflection is scorched on their brain. Their loss really. Still, it’s fun to see W do such shake-ups of classic roles.
They weren’t the only male stars who took on this Clueless challenge. Watch Bradley Cooper, Seth Rogen, Paul Dano, and Jake Gyllenhaal give it a go.
In conclusion, it does NOT say ‘RSVP’ on the Statue of Liberty. The wisdom of Cher Horowitz transcends gender and time.
Header Image Source: W
- With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility: Voting for the Pajiba 10 Begins Now
- Spoilers: Digging into the Runes Throughout ‘Midsommar,’ What the Hell They All Mean, and the Easter Eggs Ari Aster Hid Throughout
- By Erasing Oasis for a Cheap Joke, ‘Yesterday’ Also Does One of Its Only Female Characters a Disservice
- Review: Tom Holland Is Perfect In 'Spider-Man: Far From Home' Even as the Story Struggles
- On the Spectacular 'Evvie Drake Starts Over' and the Time NPR's Linda Holmes Twitter Shamed Me