Sexy Selfies Being Blamed for the Cancellation of a Popular Nickelodeon Show
Until 20 minutes ago, I’d never heard of the Nickelodeon show Sam and Cat, nor its star Jennette McCurdy, but now that I’ve gone to all the trouble of learning about them — and the supposed scandal surrounding the cancellation of the series — I feel compelled to report my findings. So, here they are in easy-to-read bullet point form:
1. Jennette McCurdy (above, on the left) is a 21-year-old actress, who is the star of Sam and Cat, which is a spin-off of her character from iCarly, about her and Ariana Grande, who was the star of another popular Nickelodeon show. The two formed their own show which involves roommates starting a babysitting service.
2. Last month, Jennette McCurdy apparently inadvertently posted a few sexy selfies of herself. They were apparently only meant for one person (a boyfriend who plays in the NBA), and that boyfriend has been blamed by some for leaking the photos after McCurdy said that he was a bad kisser. I’ve seen the photos. Either they’re fairly tame, or I’ve been completely desensitized to “sexy selfies” by Miley Cyrus. I doubt they’re worth getting worked up over.
3. This week, Nickelodeon cancelled McCurdy’s show. Or rather, they didn’t renew it, despite the massive popularity of it. Nickelodeon hasn’t really explained why, except to say that, “Hey! We just wrapped up a long and grueling production schedule,” which was necessitated by the fact that the show was so popular, and also doesn’t explain why the show was cancelled. (Actually, Nick says it’s not “cancelled,” it’s on a hiatus.)
4. Many on the Internet are suggesting that it had to do with the selfies. That seems kind of misguided. Nickelodeon is a network in the business of making money, and my guess is that these selfies didn’t in any way hurt their bottom line (and may have, in fact, improved it). I doubt that any kind of morality played into the decision.
5. Recently, there have been reports of alleged friction between McCurdy and her co-star, Grande, who apparently do not get along well. In fact, McCurdy refused to go to a Kid’s Awards Show ceremony — where she lost out to Grande — because of REASONS.
6. Those reasons are unclear. According to McCurdy, “I chose to not go because sticking up for what is right and what is fair is what my mom taught me is ALWAYS the most important thing. No matter who or what you support, I believe in supporting fairness first. It has to do with how Nickelodeon treated me, that’s all.”
7. If any conclusions should be drawn about the “cancellation” of Sam & Cat based on the above evidence, it’s not the sexy selfies but, in fact, financial reasons. She probably wanted more money to make another 40 episodes, and I bet that Nickelodeon doesn’t want to pay more money, because they don’t have to, because they probably have a roster of stars they can plug into her place. After all, the show was initially formed by mashing together stars from two previous hit shows to form a new one.
As always, it’s usually better to follow the money trail, rather than the trail of clothing left behind by a television star who wanted to get randy for her boyfriend.
Update: Confirmed. It is about the money.
Are you following Pajiba on Facebook or Twitter? Because every time you do an angel does the Paul Rudd dance
Around the Web