The 75 Greatest Last Film Lines of the Modern Era
(To be eligible, a movie must have been released between 1980 and the present.)
75. "A polar bear fell on me." -- Road House
74. -"I think we should be leaving now.
- Yeah, that's probably a good idea. -- Pulp Fiction
73. "Well, ma'am, if I see him, I'll sure give him the message." -- Blood Simple
72. "Silencio..." -- Mulholland Drive
71. "When I finally came in, Debbie was home from work. I told her everything about my dinner with Andre." -- My Dinner with Andre
70. Give them what they need. You have a son, maybe you name him James, it's a good strong name, and maybe one day years from now years after I'm dead and gone reunited with your dear ma, you gather your whole family around and tell them the truth, who you are, where you come from, you tell them the whole story. Then you ask them if they know how lucky there are to be there. It all came so close to never happening. This life came so close to never happening. -- 25th Hour
69. "How about 748 divided by 238? I got it! What's the answer?" -- Pi
68. "It was perfect." -- Black Swan
67. "And it is said that the Princess returned to her father's kingdom. That she reigned there with justice and a kind heart for many centuries. That she was loved by her people. And that she left behind small traces of her time on Earth, visible only to those who know where to look." -- Pan's Labyrinth
66. Let's just wait here awhile, see what happens. -- The Thing
65. - "I do love you and you know there is something very important we need to do as soon as possible."
- "What's that?"
- "Fuck." -- Eyes Wide Shut
64. "Guys out there is hurted." -- South Park: Bigger, Longer, Uncut
63. You just listen to the ol' Pork Chop Express here and take his advice on a dark and stormy night when the lightnin' crashin' and the thunders rollin' and the rains coming down in sheets thick as lead.... just remember what ol' Jack Burton does when the poison arrows fall from the sky and the pillars of heaven shake....Yeah ol' Jack Burton just looks that big ol' storm square in the eye and says gimme your best shot pal, I can take it! -- Big Trouble in Little China
62. "Tonight most people will be welcomed home by jumping dogs and squealing kids. Their spouses will ask about their day. Tonight they'll sleep. The stars will wheel forth from their daytime hiding places, and one of those lights, slightly brighter than the rest, will be my wingtip passing over." -- Up in the Air
61. "I'm going to show them a world without you. A world without rules and controls, without borders or boundaries. A world where anything is possible. Where we go from there is a choice I leave to you." -- The Matrix
60. "Goodnight, you princes of Maine. You kings of New England." -- The Cider House Rules
59. "For it is plain as anyone can see. We're simply meant to be." -- The Nightmare Before Christmas
58. "I am a star. I'm a star, I'm a star, I'm a star. I am a big, bright, shining star. That's right." -- Boogie Nights
57. "That's very profound, Jimmy. What does it mean? I'm fucked if I know, Terry!" -- The Commitments
56. "This is Mr. Senor Love Daddy coming at you from what's last on your dial but first in your hearts, and that's the quintessential truth, Ruth. The next record goes out to Radio Raheem. We love you, brother." -- Do the Right Thing
55. "Well, uh, hope you folks enjoyed yourselves. Catch ya further on down the trail. Say, friend - you got any more of that good sarsaparilla?" -- The Big Lebowski
54. - "Hey, Dad! You wanna have a catch?"
- "I'd like that." -- Field of Dreams
53. "Some people say it's forgive and forget. Nah, I don't know. I say forget about forgivin' and just accept - and get the hell outta town." -- Grosse Point Blank
52. "And that's the hardest part. Today, everything is different. There's no action. I have to wait around like everyone else. Can't even get decent food. Right after I got here, I ordered some spaghetti with marinara sauce and I got egg noodles and ketchup. I'm an average nobody. I get to live the rest of my life like a schnook." -- GoodFellas
51. "We are all faced throughout our lives with agonizing decisions, moral choices. Some are on a grand scale, most of these choices are on lesser points. But we define ourselves by the choices we have made. We are, in fact, the sum total of our choices. Events unfold so unpredictably, so unfairly. Human happiness does not seem to have been included in the design of creation. It is only we, with our capacity to love that give meaning to the indifferent universe. And yet, most human beings seem to have the ability to keep trying and even to find joy from simple things, like their family, their work, and from the hope that future generations might understand more." -- Crimes and Misdemeanors
50. "You look good wearing my future." -- Some Kind of Wonderful
49. "And that's the story of how Norville Barnes climbed waaay up to the forty-fourth floor of the Hudsucker Buildling, and then fell all the way down but didn't quite squish hisself. You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story..." -- Hudsucker Proxy
48. "Well, that's the story. So if your air conditioner goes on the fritz or your washing machine blows up or your video recorder conks out, before you call the repairman, turn on all the lights, check all the closets and cupboards, look under all the beds, 'cause you never can tell there just might be a gremlin in your house." -- Gremlins
47. Amid the chaos of that day, when all I could hear was the thunder of gunshots, and all I could smell was the violence in the air, I look back and am amazed that my thoughts were so clear and true, that three words went through my mind endlessly, repeating themselves like a broken record: you're so cool, you're so cool, you're so cool. And sometimes Clarence asks me what I would have done if he had died, if that bullet had been two inches more to the left. To this, I always smile, as if I'm not going to satisfy him with a response. But I always do. I tell him of how I would want to die, but that the anguish and the want of death would fade like the stars at dawn, and that things would be much as they are now. Perhaps. Except maybe I wouldn't have named our son Elvis. -- True Romance
46. "Space, the final frontier. These are the continuing voyages of the starship Enterprise. Her ongoing mission to explore strange, new worlds, to seek out new life-forms and new civilizations, to boldly go where no man has gone before." -- Star Trek: Wrath of Khan
45. "And no matter what they did to build this city back up again ... for the rest of time ... it would be like nobody even knew we was ever here. " -- Gangs of New York
44. "It's not like that at all. He's my brother." Return of the Jedi
43. "And how can this be? For he is the Kwisatz Haderach!" -- Dune
42. "You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry: you will someday." -- American Beauty
41. "You're still here? It's over! Go home. Go!" -- Ferris Bueller's Day Off
40. "Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world is a fine place and worth fighting for.' I agree with the second part." -- Se7en
39. - "Let's go? Don't you wanna see the rest of the movie?"
- "I don't have to see it, Dottie. I lived it." -- Pee Wee's Big Adventure
38. "...And here is your receipt." -- Blues Brothers
37. "You better bury Ned right. You better not cut up nor otherwise harm no whores, or I'll come back and kill every one of you sons of bitches." -- Unforgiven
36. "Beep. Blip. Blip. Beep." -- Empire Strikes Back
35. "Asshole!" -- A Fish Called Wanda
34. "I know the perfect place, you guys will love it. Trust me." -- Beverly Hills Cop
33. "I'll be right here." -- E.T. The Extra Terrestrial
32. "...So we'll hunt him because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight." -- The Dark Knight
31. - "They say they're going to repeal Prohibition. What will you do then?"
- "I think I'll have a drink." -- Untouchables
30. "Baby, you're going to miss that plane." Before Sunset
29. "Walt Whitman once said, 'I see great things in baseball. It's our game. The American game. It will repair our losses and be a blessing to us.' You could look it up." -- Bull Durham
28. "...What a piece of work is a man! How noble in reason! How infinite in faculties! How like an angel in apprehension, how like a God! The beauty of the world, paragon of animals! And yet to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor women neither. Nor women neither." -- Withnail and I
27. "It's so beautiful! Let's live here! We'll rent to star." -- Groundhog Day
26. - "Sleep tight."
- "Affirmative." -- Aliens
25. "That won't be necessary. You see, Sarah, Harold, we took a secret vote. We're not leaving. We're never leaving." -- The Big Chill
24. "Whatever life holds in store for me, I will never forget these words: 'With great power comes great responsibility.' This is my gift. My curse. Who am I? I'm Spider-Man." -- Spider-Man
23. "Way back, way, way, way back, up high into the right field. That ball is still going. It's way back, high up in there. He did it. Hobbs did it." -- The Natural
22. "Hey, everybody, we're all gonna get laid." -- Caddyshack
21. "My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment. I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. The time of your life, huh, kid?" -- Risky Business
20. " ..." -- Lost in Translation
19. - "I do wish we could chat longer, but I'm having an old friend for dinner. Bye."
-- The Silence of the Lambs
18. "That'll do, pig. That'll do." -- Babe
17. - "Thanks for getting my undies back."
- "Thanks for comin' over."
- "Thanks for coming to get me."
- "Happy Birthday, Samantha. Make a wish."
- "It already came true." -- Sixteen Candles
16. "I'm the boss, I'm the boss, I'm the boss, I'm the boss, I'm the boss boss, boss, boss, boss, boss, boss." -- Raging Bull
15. "I'm too old for this." -- Lethal Weapon
14. "My thoughts drift back to erect nipple wet dreams about Mary Jane Rottencrotch and the Great Homecoming Fuck Fantasy. I'm so happy that I am alive, in one piece and short. I'm in a world of shit, yes. But I am alive. And I am not afraid." -- Full Metal Jacket
13. "And now the prophecy is fulfilled. We are again one. Many ages ago, in our arrogance and delusion, we shattered the pure crystal. And our world split apart. Your courage and sacrifice have made us whole and restored the true power of the Crystal. Hold her to you. She is part of you, as we all are part of each other. Now we leave you the crystal of truth. Make your world in its light." -- The Dark Crystal
12. "One thing about living in Santa Carla I never could stomach, all the damn vampires." -- Lost Boys
11. - "Oh Captain, My Captain!...Oh Captain, My Captain!..."
- "Thank you, boys. Thank you." -- Dead Poets Society
10. - "Grandpa, maybe you could come over and read it again to me tomorrow."
- "As you wish." -- The Princess Bride
9. "If not Arizona, then a land not too far away, where all parents are strong and wise and capable, and all children are happy and beloved. I don't know. Maybe it was Utah." -- Raising Arizona
8. "The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. And like that, he's gone." -- The Usual Suspects
7. "Now, where was I?" -- Memento
6. "Jack, I swear..." -- Brokeback Mountain
5. "Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king. Hail to the king, baby." -- Army of Darkness
4. "Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads." -- Back to the Future
3. "You met me at a very strange time of my life " -- Fight Club
2. "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was 12. Jesus, does anyone?" -- Stand by Me
1. "I find I am so excited I can barely sit still or hold a thought in my head. I think it's the excitement only a free man can feel, a free man at the start of a long journey whose conclusion is uncertain. I hope I can make it across the border. I hope to see my friend and shake his hand. I hope the Pacific is as blue as it has been in my dreams. I hope." -- The Shawshank Redemption
Leave a Comment, But Don't Be a Douche Or We Will Happily Ban You
blog comments powered by Disqus