One of the new things on the internet is putting an egg into your dog’s mouth to show just how gentle they can be.
It all started with this very Good Girl:
my aunt read online that a golden retriever’s mouth is so gentle they can hold an egg in their mouth without cracking it so she tried it on her dog and well pic.twitter.com/6SDyUI3v4j— elizabeth gillies fan account (@Iaurdreyfuss) February 4, 2018
Now, as anyone who has ever had a dog—or indeed even met a dog—would attest, the fact that they are capable of using their jaws in other modes than DEATHCRUSHKILL should come as no surprise.
Nevertheless, here we are, and everyone has jumped on this bandwagon. Usually I’d be snarky and say something crotchety, but…
It’s an excuse to look at dogs.
The process is simple. You give the (usually slightly confused but ever patient) dog an egg to hold in their mouth. They hold it. Then you get it back from them. Instant recipe for pure aww.
Tried out the Golden Retriever egg challenge with Missy tonight. She was successful and remains a very good girl pic.twitter.com/inRC37V6SN— Brendan Mulligan (@mullaby) February 6, 2018
As far as I’m concerned, though, the real champions here are the rulebreakers. The renegades. The dogs that don’t play by no human’s stupid egg rules.
Give ‘em hell, pups.
i tried 🤷🏻♀️ pic.twitter.com/w29OBt3lhX— 💛mercy (@blvssoms) February 5, 2018
Don’t try the golden retriever challenge with a Shepard 😂🤦🏽♀️ pic.twitter.com/6OC2AwSaXN— Lyndsay reeves (@ReevesLyndsay) February 5, 2018
I tried to test the theory of a golden retriever’s mouth being so gentle that they won’t even crack an egg but my golden doodle is scared of the egg…. pic.twitter.com/qKzn2eEzL3— Allison Lockhart (@A_Lock1) February 5, 2018
And my personal favourite.
“Placing a raw egg (in the shell) in a dog’s mouth is a health risk. It is choking hazard as the egg may become lodged in the dog’s throat,” she said.
“However, there is also a risk of the dog contracting an infection from bacteria that is present on the outside of the egg shell, for example, salmonella.”
“Salmonella can be present both inside and outside the shell, so even if the egg does not break, if the bacteria is present on the outside of the shell it could lead to health concerns including diahhorea and vomiting.”
So yeah. Think twice before you shove an egg in anything’s mouth. Especially a dog’s.
Header Image Source: