'Veep' Star Provides the Best Response to Meghan McCain's Bullsh*t Streep Slam
By now, you may already know about the idiotic thing Fox News contributor Meghan McCain said in response to Meryl Streep’s speech last night at the Golden Globes.
This Meryl Streep speech is why Trump won. And if people in Hollywood don't start recognizing why and how - you will help him get re-elected— Meghan McCain (@MeghanMcCain) January 9, 2017
McCain was roundly criticized on Twitter for the tweet, led by Billy Eichner.
MERYL. FUCKING. STREEP.— billy eichner (@billyeichner) January 9, 2017
Um she asked him not to make fun of disabled people and advocated for the freedom of the press and the arts you fucking moron https://t.co/IzZexd7Bb4— billy eichner (@billyeichner) January 9, 2017
The two exchanged barbs for a minute, which should provide a lesson to all of you about never trading barbs with Billy Eichner. It went like this:
McCain: “Calling republicans like me ‘fucking morons’ is a great way for Hollywood to bridge the cultural divide. Enjoy your bubble,” McCain said.
Eichner: “I’d rather live in a bubble than live with people who don’t feel a need to respect the disabled, freedom of speech & the arts!! … Oh & another message from my bubble-can u ask dad to give back the MILLIONS he’s received from the NRA? MERYL F*CKING STREEP!”
There were hundreds of other response to McCain, but we don’t need to recount them all. Suffice to say, the narrative created by McCain, Trump, and Kellyanne Conway this morning was: Hollywood is full of elitist, out-of-touch liberals.
There were a lot of great defenses to this argument, but none better than the one from Timothy Simons, who hails from backwoods Maine in a town with a population of less than 3,000. It is a quintessential white, rural town in America.
First, he took issue with a tweet from white rage provocateur Tami Lahren.
These Hollywood elites wouldn't know average, every day hard-working Americans if we bit them in the ass. #GoldenGlobes— Tomi Lahren (@TomiLahren) January 9, 2017
My dad. My mom. My small business owner sister. My aunt. My uncle. My cousin and her wife. FUUUUUUCKKK YOOOUUU. https://t.co/Q8mA9XnKiI— Timothy Simons (@timothycsimons) January 9, 2017
And then Simons — who goes by several names on Veep, including Jonad, Jizzy Gillespie, Jack and the Giant Jackoff, Tinkerballs and the Pointless Giant — vented his white, rural spleen:
1. Okay. Fuck all this. Stop with the fucking Hollywood elitist 'we don't know hardworking americans' bullshit.— Timothy Simons (@timothycsimons) January 9, 2017
2. You elected a game show host and reagan.— Timothy Simons (@timothycsimons) January 9, 2017
3. Yes there are actors in TV and Film. But there are also: Truck drivers. Electricians. Carpenters. Painters. Security Guards.— Timothy Simons (@timothycsimons) January 9, 2017
4. Graphic designers. Set designers. Accountants. Assistants. PAs. Assistant Directors. Welders. Prop designers.— Timothy Simons (@timothycsimons) January 9, 2017
5. Costumers. Dressers. Catering. TV and Film employ top to bottom any goddamned thing you want to be in the world.— Timothy Simons (@timothycsimons) January 9, 2017
6. Most of which are union jobs. Wages which you can raise a family on. All this, AND we are one of America's biggest fucking exports.— Timothy Simons (@timothycsimons) January 9, 2017
7. So, I guess, shut the fuck up about me not knowing hard working people? Everyone puts in crazy long hours out here.— Timothy Simons (@timothycsimons) January 9, 2017
8. But, like, you know someone who owns a pickup truck so fuck me I guess. GTFO.— Timothy Simons (@timothycsimons) January 9, 2017
9. OH SHIT THERE ARE HELLA PICKUP TRUCKS ON A MOVIE SET. Maybe you should get out of your white rural bubble.— Timothy Simons (@timothycsimons) January 9, 2017
10. (I grew up white and rural so I get to say that.) Night.— Timothy Simons (@timothycsimons) January 9, 2017
Well said, Simons.
On the hand, if Lahren, McCain, Conway et. al, wanted to take issue with elite Hollywood liberals, they probably would’ve been more successful ignoring Meryl Streep and going after Tom Hiddleston for what was the most unctuous awards speech of all time, the sort of speech where even Gwyneth Paltrow was sitting at home and saying, “Oh, Tom. No.”
via Patton Oswalt
This thread is PERFECT. I just wanna grab you by the balls and kiss you. https://t.co/gYipxYH4Fs— Patton Oswalt (@pattonoswalt) January 9, 2017
- What if 'Independence Day' with Will Smith is a Warning?
- With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility: Voting for the Pajiba 10 Begins Now
- The 10 Best Movies Of 2019 So Far
- Meghan McCain Wants to Quit 'The View' (WHY, GOD?!)
- 'Yesterday' Is A Love Letter To East Anglia