'The Babadook' Has Just Been Blatantly And Atrociously Ripped Off
Last night, I went to the movies and was treated to a cavalcade of trailers for upcoming horror offerings about ghosts, ghouls, and slashers. But while there were some scary teases and some stars in the mix, out of a 20-minute trailer block, the one that stood out most was the one that made me guffaw with the sheer nerve of it.
Basically, it’s like some Hollywood hack said, “People really like The Babadook. What if we took that scary fuck creature, ditched the depressed mom, her screechy kid and all the metaphorical underpinnings and add some college co-eds, bigger kill scenes, and tits? PEOPLE WILL REALLY LOVE THAT, RIGHT?”
Let’s run it down.
1. The M.O.: “He’s trying to get inside of us! He makes us do things.” Not a monster that kills you, but one that scares, stalks you and pushes its way inside you and then forces you to kill yourself and others. The trailer even gives crime scene footage like Babadook’s Amelia (Essie Davis) sees on TV, predicting her own could-be crimes.
There you go. Now you know what The Babadook without the genius of Jennifer Kent would look like.
Damn. That still gives me chills.
Kristy Puchko doesn’t care if you think Babadook is overrated. So feel free to keep that comment to yourself for once.
- What if 'Independence Day' with Will Smith is a Warning?
- With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility: Voting for the Pajiba 10 Begins Now
- The 10 Best Movies Of 2019 So Far
- Meghan McCain Wants to Quit 'The View' (WHY, GOD?!)
- 'Yesterday' Is A Love Letter To East Anglia