'Terminator: Genisys' Trailer: They're Back, Not That Anyone Asked
OK, here it is. The next generation of Terminator films begins with this one, Terminator: Genisys. So with that in mind…
Here’s what works:
- Scarred up Jason Clarke (to be fair, any Jason Clarke is good Jason Clarke)
- Khaleesi is working that shit as Sarah Connor, and I’m buying what she’s selling
- The music is pretty rad.
- A relatively clever twist on rebooting, by essentially messing with the timelines and having Reese go back in time and finding things completely different
- Pretending that Terminator: Salvation basically doesn’t exist because holy fuck is that a shit movie.
- Byung-hun Lee should be in All The Things.
But. Here’s what’s not working for me:
- Jason Clarke’s cheesy, mankind-must-band-together speech and the fact that all of his dialogue consists of Very Important Moments.
- Everything that took place in the future, which has always been the weak spot of the series and one of the reasons why Salvation was so terrible (also, McG). Focus on the human element of the present, people.
- White-haired Ahnuld is laughable.
- Jai Courtney has been good in precisely one movie, and this doesn’t appear to be changing that math.
- That title. Oy, that fuckin’ title is a nightmare.
- The sort of weird idea of having what appear to be three generations of Terminahnold.
So, you know, maybe. It’s got potential. Director Alan Taylor has done excellent work on Game of Thrones, and fine work on Thor: The Dark World. Patrick Lussier as a writer makes me nervous, having penned Dracula 2000 and its subsequent (horrible) sequels. TL;DR - it’s interesting, but not exactly blowing my skirt up.