I’ve got some good news and some bad news about SyFy’s wannabe Walking Dead rip off Z Nation. Here’s the obligatory plot summary to set the stage:
Z Nation starts three years after the zombie virus has gutted the country, when a team of everyday heroes must transport the only known survivor of the plague from New York to California, where the last functioning viral lab waits for his blood. Although the antibodies he carries are the world’s last, best hope for a vaccine, he hides a dark secret that threatens them all. With humankind’s survival at stake, the ragtag band embarks on a journey of survival across three thousand miles of rusted-out post-apocalyptic America.
First, the good news:
1. It is not technically the worst and laziest name for a zombie television series possible. That would be if they called it “Zombies”.
2. DJ Qualls is apparently still alive. Good for him. I wouldn’t have put money on that.
3. It’s not Professional Wrestling.
4. It’s not a variation on searching for sasquatch, ghosts, or other imaginary chicanery.
5. It’s not reality television.
6. No Carl or baby Wasshername.
7. It tries to have a bit of humor and be tongue in cheek.
8. A plot summary that suggests an actual tangible goal for the plot to move towards instead of just wallowing in the misery of the apocalypse.
Here’s the trailer:
And so we can address the bad news:
1. That looks bad.
2. I mean, really, really bad.
3. Like, I clicked on the trailer before reading about it and honestly thought it was a really stupid reality show for fifteen seconds.
4. No katanas? It’s not a zombie apocalypse without a katana.
5. The special effects are almost as bad as those of professional wrestling.
6. The zombie baby is twice as stupid as the contrived plots The Walking Dead comes up with for the Lori-bane baby.
7. Trying at humor does not mean succeeding.
8. Thing is, Walking Dead had a goal the first season too. They blew it up and haven’t found it since Sophia took a walk in the forest.