I don’t give it great odds, but MoviePass may have finally figured out the right formula to remain afloat. The surge pricing is gone. Blocking certain movies: Gone. Taking a picture of your ticket stub: Gone. Raising the subscription price: Gone.
MoviePass had decided that, instead of creating a lot of rules in an effort to get out of paying for too many movie tickets, they’re just going to prohibit moviegoers from buying too many movie tickets. So, now, for $9.95 a month, subscribers can see any movie they want to see and all the movies they want to see, as long it’s less than three movies.
$10. Three movies a month. Period. (Plus, discounts of $2-$5 on movies that exceed three).
That makes sense. They probably should have started there, because — as MoviePass states — 85 percent of users see three movies or fewer each month. It’s the other 15 percent that have been screwing MoviePass. The subscription service believes that by cutting the top 15 percent, they can eventually reach break-even, although at $45 million in debt, that may take a very long time.
And sure! The top 15 percent could cancel MoviePass (as I did, which I now kind of regret), but they’re still seeing 3 movies for $10. That’s a bargain. Frequent moviegoers who live near AMC theaters are probably still better off paying $20 for unlimited movies at AMC theaters, but for everyone else, MoviePass should meet all of our needs. While we could complain because we might have to pay $10 to see Dog Days after exhausting our MoviePass subscriptions in The Spy Who Dumped Me, Christopher Robin and The Meg, if you want to see Dog Days that badly, maybe you should have to pay $10.
Header Image Source: LD Entertainment