James Gunn Fired From the 'Guardians' Franchise Over Old Tweets
Alt-right asshole Mike Cernovich dug up a lot of offensive tweets (now deleted) from early in James Gunn’s career with jokes about rape and pedophilia (recall, Gunn was a Troma guy, and he directed Slither), and as a result, Disney has decided to fire him from the Guardians franchise, so reports Deadline.
James Gunn has apologized for the tweets.
2. It’s not to say I’m better, but I am very, very different than I was a few years ago; today I try to root my work in love and connection and less in anger. My days saying something just because it’s shocking and trying to get a reaction are over.— James Gunn (@JamesGunn) July 20, 2018
4. For the record, when I made these shocking jokes, I wasn’t living them out. I know this is a weird statement to make, and seems obvious, but, still, here I am, saying it.— James Gunn (@JamesGunn) July 20, 2018
5. Anyway, that’s the completely honest truth: I used to make a lot of offensive jokes. I don’t anymore. I don’t blame my past self for this, but I like myself more and feel like a more full human being and creator today. Love you to you all.— James Gunn (@JamesGunn) July 20, 2018
The firing was confirmed in a statement released by Disney.
Disney on James Gunn being fired from GUARDIANS 3: "The offensive attitudes and statements discovered on James’ Twitter feed are indefensible and inconsistent with our studio’s values, and we have severed our business relationship with him."— Borys Kit (@Borys_Kit) July 20, 2018
I don’t know what else to tell you.
- What if 'Independence Day' with Will Smith is a Warning?
- With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility: Voting for the Pajiba 10 Begins Now
- The 10 Best Movies Of 2019 So Far
- Meghan McCain Wants to Quit 'The View' (WHY, GOD?!)
- 'Yesterday' Is A Love Letter To East Anglia