I got nothing against the first Thor movie: It was as good as you might expect from a generic action-movie template. It’s not a movie that stands up to any kind of scrutiny, however, and if you actually listen to what the actors are saying instead of gazing fondly into their deep-set blue eyes and admiring their long locks of beautiful hair, it all kind of caves in on itself. The trailer for Thor: The Dark World is the perfect example of that: Action movie trope after action movie trope, and overwrought action-movie line after action-movie line.
The delivery and the actors delivering the lines — Chris Hemsworth, Stellan Skarsgard, Natalie Portman, Tom Hiddleston, Idris Elba — kind of allow you to tune out to what is actually being said, which is a good thing since what is actually being said is meaningless, ponderous bullsh*t. The following ten lines from the trailer are something you hear in damn near any action movie:
1. “After all this time.”
2. “I wish I could trust you.”
3. “I gave you my word, I would return for you.”
4. “You face an enemy known only to a few.”
5. “You must be truly desperate to come to me for help.”
6. “If we do nothing, they will destroy us.”
7. “You even think about betraying him … and I’ll kill you.”
8. “We’re running out of time.”
9. “The very fabric of reality will be torn apart.”
10. “I’ll find a way to save us all.”
But I’ll grant you that it sure does look pretty and ‘splodey.