Disney Congratulates Disney For Beating Disney's Box Office Record (And a History of Similar Posters)
Like a dainty butterfly settling lightly on a stalk of grass except exactly the opposite of that analogy, Avengers: Infinity War crash-landed onto the box office this weekend, obliterating everything in its path. In the process of hoovering up everyone’s cash the Russos’ behemoth even managed to overtake the quite impressive US box office opening-weekend record set by 2015’s Star Wars: The Force Awakens, taking in a cool $258.2m—some $11m more than JJ Abrams’ Star Wars universe reset. Infinity War also recorded the highest-ever haul for a Saturday ($83m), as well as Sunday ($61m).
As a result, the top 10 opening-weekend grossers at the US box office now looks like this:
1. Avengers: Infinity War (2018) - $258.2m
2. Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015) - $247.9m
3. Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017) - $220m
4. Jurassic World (2015) - $208.8m
5. The Avengers (2012) - $207.4m
6. Black Panther (2018) - $202m
7. Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015) - $191.2m
8. Captain America: Civil War (2016) - $179.1m
9. Beauty and the Beast (2017) - $174.7m
10. Iron Man 3 (2013) - $174.1m
Which, through a different lens, looks like this:
The great thing about capitalism is all the competition it encourages.
The people behind Star Wars, Kathleen Kennedy and Lucasfilm, saw fit to send a quick nod of congratulations to Marvel and Kevin Feige. From one Disney office to another, they sent this rather sweet tweet:
D’aww. Even Tony Stark, technological wizzkid that he is, could find use for a lightsaber. Though let’s be honest: Shuri’s probably already got a working prototype for an even better model tucked away somewhere in her workshop beneath an old Coachella poster.
Anyway, here’s a brief history of studios and filmmakers congratulating other studios and filmmakers for making more money with their movies:
For reference, these are some congratulatory images from the past.— Rafi Ihsan (@Rafihsan) May 1, 2018
(Credits to reddit user /u/raindog2)
1. JAWS to Star Wars - 1977 pic.twitter.com/3HSVYTvBhY
2. Star Wars to E.T - 1980 pic.twitter.com/SDEemmLDF6— Rafi Ihsan (@Rafihsan) May 1, 2018
E.T to Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back - 1980— Rafi Ihsan (@Rafihsan) May 1, 2018
Spielberg once again congratulating George for beating E.T's record in the same year. pic.twitter.com/pHtvhif000
Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back to Titanic - 1997— Rafi Ihsan (@Rafihsan) May 1, 2018
James Cameron has joined the game. pic.twitter.com/dV64HFnzaU
The Avengers to Jurassic World - 2015— Rafi Ihsan (@Rafihsan) May 1, 2018
Skipping a few years, JW ( $208.8) managed to best Avengers ($207.4) on US domestic opening weekend screening. pic.twitter.com/kU4v2rG2Av
- What if 'Independence Day' with Will Smith is a Warning?
- With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility: Voting for the Pajiba 10 Begins Now
- The 10 Best Movies Of 2019 So Far
- Meghan McCain Wants to Quit 'The View' (WHY, GOD?!)
- 'Yesterday' Is A Love Letter To East Anglia