Chief Creative Director of DC Discusses Their Long-Term TV Plan
In an interview over at Buzzfeed Geoff Johns, the Chief Creative Director talks about their multiverse and how they plan to get different characters and stories either to your TV screen or into theaters. It focuses more on the TV shows than the movies, overall, but there is a bit of info on their movie plan. If you’re a big DC fan, I’d recommend reading the whole thing, because you’ll get a lot more out of it than I did, but here’s some highlights for other casual fans:
- Supergirl the TV show is in development, and Johns expresses support for female superheroes in film and TV. Lucifer is also currently in development.
- There will be overlap between the characters in their film and TV shows, but they’re intended to be ways to explore different areas of the DC universe.
- He’s totally cool with spoilers. Or so he says, anyway. “We live in a day and age where you can’t control that stuff from happening and so you just have to embrace the best part of it, and, for us, it’s that people are interested and they care. If they get a picture of someone on set and they’re talking about it, that’s great, because they’re excited.”
- He has a lot of praise for Oswold Cobblepot on Gotham, and how that character is being explored.
- Characters are working backwards from the screen into comic books, particularly Fish Mooney also from Gotham.
Like I said, there’s a lot of information there for comic book fans, or anyone who’s interested in DC’s upcoming projects particularly the ones on TV. While Marvel is taking on a very ambitious project with the ties between their movies and the Agents of SHIELD TV show, it doesn’t seem as though DC is trying to emulate that. And given the success of their TV work, that may just be where they work best.