I gave up on movie soundtracks a long time ago. There was a time when it was an artform, when movies had truly great, well thought-out and interesting soundtracks, frequently of music that was actually used in the film, instead of this nonsensical “music inspired by” bullshit. Soundtracks to films like The Crow, Pump Up The Volume, pretty much ever Tarantino film — all great examples of albums carefully thought out and assembled. For the most part, those days are gone.
One would have hoped for something awesome from Joss Whedon for his Avengers movie. This is, after all, the guy who wrote all of the music to Once More, With Feeling. But apparently he isn’t even half the guy he… ow.
So the artists and tracks for the Avengers soundtrack has been released, and it reads like a late 90’s/early 2000’s bloodbath of shitty wannabe metal and the dead descriptor once known as “alternative.” Take a gander:
01. “Live To Us” - Soundgarden
02. “I’m Alive - Shinedown
03. “Dirt & Roses - Rise Against
04. “Even If I could - Papa Roach
05. “Unbroken” - Black Veil Brides
06. “Breath” - Scott Weiland
07. “Comeback” - Redlight King
08. “Into The Blue” - Bush
09. “A New Way To Bleed” (Photex Remix) - Evanescence
10. “Count Me Out” - Pusherjones
11. “Shoot To Thrill” - Theory of A Deadman
12. “Whereever I Go” - Buckcherry
13. “From Out Of Nowhere” - Five Finger Death Punch
14. “Shake The Ground” - Cherri Bomb
15. “Pistols At Dawn” - Kasabian
Oof. Is that a joke? Buckcherry? Theory Of A Deadman? Evanescence? PAPA ROACH? Dear god, Five Finger Death Punch? It’s like a laundry list of crappy hard rock and dick-metal. The bright spots are Bush, who can be tolerable when they’re not being pretentious asses, and the fact that Soundgarden is back with a new track. But really, that’s all I can find there that makes me feel anything other than sadness.
For what it’s worth, here’s a preview of the Soundgarden track. It’s only a handful of seconds, but it’s solid.
(via The Playlist)