Ten Actors Who Were Considered Or Passed on the Role of the Doctor in 'Doctor Who'
Because I was a little down on Capaldi as the 12th Doctor (mostly, through no fault of his own), here’s some fun Doctor Who trivia to make up for it.
1. Russell Tovey (recommended by Russell Davies for the 11th Doctor)
2. Harry Lloyd, i.e. Viserys Targaryen (also recommended by Russell Davies for the 11th Doctor)
3. Hugh Grant (turned down the 9th Doctor)
4. Bill Nighy (considered but passed on the 9th Doctor)
5. Bill Cosby was considered for an American remake, which thankfully never materialized
6. Chris Barrie (Red Dwarf) was considered for the 9th Doctor
7. Richard Griffiths was considered for the 5th, 6th, 7th, and 8th Doctors
8. Ken Campbell (Bartlett in A Fish Called Wanda) was considered for the 7th Doctor.
9. Brian Blessed turned down the second Doctor.
10. Jim Carrey and Michael Jackson were both considered for a feature film version of Doctor Who, which — again — thank God didn’t materialize