As important as a great friendship can be to a television comedy or drama, so can a formidable enemy jazz up, or even define a show. Often the best shows on the little screen revolve around wonderful characters portrayed by beloved actors. But even the greatest protagonist can be made better with a proper enemy; for the majority of “Breaking Bad,” Season 3, a pair of cousins practically took over the show as a cohesive enemy to Walt, then Hank and even Gus. Sherlock has his Moriarty, Bugs has his Fudd and Boston Rob, his Russell Hantz.
So, without further ado, I give you Television’s Top Five Bitter Enemies. If you disagree, meet me out back:
5. Wile E. Coyote and Road Runner: Any time you drop by to check in on these two, you can be sure there’s an attempted murder in progress.
4. Seinfeld and Newman: Though their mutual hatred was never really explained, it was clear to see and hear any time these boys derisively greeted each other.
3. Jacob and the Man in Black: Not much was properly resolved by the end of “Lost”…but hey, these two brothers really hate each other! See you in the next life, Smokey.
2. Jean-Luc Picard and the Borg: Resistance is not futile.
1. Doctor Who and the Daleks: Enemies since Series 2, before many Pajibans were born and still enemies today. That just can’t be topped.