The Who’s Roger Daltrey appeared on last night’s CSI: Fairytales, a.k.a. ABC’s “Once Upon a Time,” not as a rock star or as a prisoner sentenced to death for the crime of writing “Bad Attitude” with Meat Loaf, but as a caterpillar. Not just any caterpillar, mind you: The Caterpillar, the one from Alice in Wonderland. Why? Well, the only reason I can think of is because The Caterpillar says, “Who are you?” in Disney’s version of the Lewis Carroll classic, but who knows. (Correct answer: Money, probably.) This isn’t the first time a rock star has guest starred on a TV show in an utterly bizarre cameo appearance.
Here are 13 of the most peculiar.
1. Bob Dylan as Bob Dylan, “Dharma & Greg”
2. David Bowie as Lord Royal Highness, “Spongebob Squarepants”
3. Ringo Starr as Mr. Conductor, “Shining Time Station”
4. Little Richard as Uncle Little Richard, “Full House”
5. Debbie Harry as Old Woman Who Lived in a Shoe, “Mother Goose Rock ‘n’ Rhyme”
6. Iggy Pop as James Mecklenberg, “The Adventures of Pete and Pete”
7. Michael Stipe as Captain Scrummy, “The Adventures of Pete and Pete”
8. James Hetfield and Lars Ulrich as Dragon Leader and Dragon Sidekick, “Dave the Barbarian”
9. Frank Zappa as Mario Fuente, “Miami Vice”
10. Thurston Moore and Kim Gordon as the Troubadours, “Gilmore Girls”
11. David Byrne as Byron, “Trying Times”
12. Patti Smith as Professor Cleo Alexander, “Law & Order: Criminal Intent”
13. Mick Jagger as The Emperor, “Faerie Tale Theatre”