Trump Angry Tweets During the House Intelligence Committee Hearing, Comey Forced to Respond
Yesterday’s House Intelligence Committee hearing didn’t really provide any new insight into what we already knew to be true:
- The FBI is investigating possible collusion during last year’s presidential election between Russia and the Trump Campaign
- House Republicans are trying to refute leaked information by saying it’s illegal for journalists to publish the information
- Trump is a lying liar who lies
- Comey had to discredit Trump’s tweets as he was tweeting them in real time
Oh, you didn’t know that last bit? Allow me to shine some light on that nugget. At the beginning of the hearing before the House Intelligence Committee, Comey was asked if this tweet made by President* Trump was true.
Terrible! Just found out that Obama had my "wires tapped" in Trump Tower just before the victory. Nothing found. This is McCarthyism!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) March 4, 2017
Comey clarified that the security agency is investigating possible collusion between the Trump campaign and Russian in last year’s election. Comey then added that he had no information to support Trump’s tweet accusing Obama of wiretapping.
Then Comey was asked about MORE of Trump’s tweets, AS TRUMP WAS TWEETING THEM WHILE WATCHING THE HEARING.
The NSA and FBI tell Congress that Russia did not influence electoral process. pic.twitter.com/d9HqkxYBt5— President Trump (@POTUS) March 20, 2017
The FBI Director was just asked under oath if this tweet was accurate. He said this tweet is not what he said. https://t.co/RWijNNe90p— Liam Stack (@liamstack) March 20, 2017
This is the only time I’ll ever say this so let the record show, I actually felt pity for Comey because he had to respond to the musings of a madman in real time.
“We’ve offered no opinion, have no view, have no information on potential impact because it’s never been something that we’ve looked at.”
This is it, folks. This is the new norm for us: trying to separate fact from fiction while being bookended by Presidential real-time tweets. In a way, I’m eating all of this up, because this is just some kind of karmic balance for all the shit Comey puppet-mastered last year. In those terms, I take back every feeling of pity I had for Comey. He gets to babysit the President now. May this be his lasting legacy. The lesson here? Trump always has to be the center of attention, even if his desire to be the center of attention is what caused everything to go sideways in the first place.
- What if 'Independence Day' with Will Smith is a Warning?
- With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility: Voting for the Pajiba 10 Begins Now
- The 10 Best Movies Of 2019 So Far
- Meghan McCain Wants to Quit 'The View' (WHY, GOD?!)
- 'Yesterday' Is A Love Letter To East Anglia